Profile picture for irishlady

1890 think it's o.k?

I found a lovely house with a new roof,siding and windows but it was built in 1890 should I be concerned it is so old
  • December 26 2008 - New Hyde Park
  • 0

Hi Ralph-

This is Gracey from Zillow.

Please refrain from providing your contact details on your comments. The users can go to your profile page to view your information. Please abide by the Good Neighbor Policy (http://www.zillow.com/how ... olicy.htm) in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Profile picture for seattlejoel
I've owned several houses, old and newish.  They just have different issues.  Many older houses are built with a fantastic level of quality in materials and workmanship that is not available today but many strange things can happen over the years.  It really depends on the house so see what your inspector thinks.

Whether the house is 10 years old or a beautiful classic like the one that seems to have won your heart, you should always present your offer subject to the inspection of a licensed engineer. He is trained to see beyond the nice roof and pretty windows. I would advise you accompany him during the inspection. Good luck with your purchase and feel free to contact me should you like to discuss how best to structure the financing to best suit your immediate needs and long term goals.

Obviously, the age of any home should be a concern.  However, if an enginneer inspects the house, and says it's structurally sound, you should OK.  If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me.  Ralph Windschuh, Century 21 Princeton Properties,