2 years income for mortgage w/cosigner

My husband and I have been renting for a long time now and are considering buying a home after my graduation in December and I have landed a job. He has been working for 5 years, great credit, and we will have roughly 10% down payment. I have heard that you have to have 2 years income in order to qualify for a mortgage. My question is this: if I start working in January, not having 2 years income, can I co-sign on his loan and have my current income count towards our combined debt-to-income ratio? Or, will I also need 2 years income in order to cosign on the loan, in order to qualify for a larger mortgage?

September 10 2012 - Athens

We are in no position to offer guidance, since all your questions relate to your financial profile, which is a private matter.  I suggest that you talk with at least two mortgage brokers and see what they suggest.  Good luck!

These are questions that you should talk to specific lenders about.  Some smaller banks may not have the same standards as the larger companies that do need the 2 years income.  But there are companies who will loan to you based on the fact that you were working before and now have better income because of graduation.  You also probably need a letter proving that you really will be making a certain level of income.  Do some research on the smaller lenders, brokers, who can help, as opposed to the larger names.  You do have some good options out there.