Profile picture for discogypsyspam

24 hour move out notice for no electrecity

I was approached by a constable on my rental property (house) with a paper in his hand stating that i have 24 hours to pay the full electric bill and fees that went along with it,or i have to move out. the electric bill was in my landlords name and i had been paying him in cash and had some receipts for the payment. well turns out the bill was like 1,800 . i spoke to my landlord about this he said they couldn't kick me out of his house . sure enough they did, 2 days later they came gave me 10 minutes to pack up the rest of my belongings and boarded up the doors and windows? PS i was paying for electricity from my fellow neighbors for about a week prior. is this legal to serve such a short eviction notice? PS this was about 4 yrs ago and im just inquiring about it now just because?

February 07 2012 - Tacoma

Out of curiosity, why do you ask four years after the event?

February 07 2012
Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
According to the law in every state, an apartment must be "habitable." this means water, power, heat(if separate), pest free, and a few other things. it could be that the city of Tacoma has a requirement that as part of the process of turning off someone's power, an emergency eviction is required for your safety. It would be technically illegal for the landlord to rent a home without power, or for you to live there, but again I've never heard of something like that, its purely conjecture. Had you taken your landlord to court, however, it would have been a slam dunk for rent, security, moving expenses, and probably a little extra on top. That's my guess anyway, and as you know legal advice on a public forum is worth less than you pay.

note, this doesn't apply when the power/heat is in your name.

February 07 2012
If I were you, I'd contact the Washington Attorney General's office.

February 07 2012