Profile picture for kathanne54

3 offers

Hello all, I wanted to get any advice that I could. I have made 3 offers on a house that's been sitting on the market for 3 years. It has been on and off and recently has been lowering the price every two months. The original owners don't even live at the property anymore. I have offered a very fair price for the property that does need some work. Besides looking elsewhere (which is my next step after this post) does anyone have any suggestions? The listing states, "motivated seller," "make an offer," etc etc.
  • December 20 2013 - East Boston

It seems the owners don't need to sell.  It could be rented and the owners are holding the property as an investment. Your best bet would be to move on.
Best of luck,

Are you pre-approved for a mortgage yet? Sometimes sellers will not consider an offer unless you have a pre-approval. This is a very important important of the home buying process and I am hoping you have at least taken of this. If you do not have a pre-approval, the best thing for you to do is to speak with a lender directly to see if you can get started on financing a new home. There are lenders like myself that would be glad to speak with you to help you get the loan that you need. Well I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or if you would like a loan, feel free to contact me!

Profile picture for Michael Forde
It sounds like a house you "must have" so I would recommend sending the sellers a heartfelt letter explaining why you love their house so much and what you plan to do if you were to buy it from them. Showing a little thought and attention can sometimes go a long way.  

If your agent believes you have made a fair offer and you are getting no response you may want to move on.  I never like to have my buyers bid against themselves, if you are getting no counter offers unless you really want the house to me it makes no sense to keep upping your offer.  Good luck.

My advice is: look elsewhere.

There has to be a better property for the money, and if there isn't, maybe then you should consider making a higher offer on this one.

Profile picture for Brad Pratt
Did your buyers agent do a market analysis for you on the property?  If it is overpriced then maybe the seller is unreasonable.  That is my guess.  If the property was worth anywhere near the asking price then it would probably be sold right now.  I think with the lengthy time on market and multiple attempts by you to buy it..... it's overpriced and seller will just sit on it.  I suggest walking away.

I agree with Rebecca.  If they were really motivated, they would have responded to your offer with a counter-offer.  Listing agent may not be saying much because his client may have instructed him not to say much.  If he's not responding to your offer, I would recommend moving on.  Tell them if they decide to get serious about selling their house to get back in touch with your agent.  

Profile picture for HighDesertAgent
It sounds to me like the seller isn't serious about selling.  They seem to be "grass is greener" type people who will always think that a better offer is coming soon.

Move on... find another property -- otherwise you could be left without a house and frustraed as heck

Profile picture for kathanne54
Thanks for all the answers. I am working with a buyers agent and my realtor spoke with the sellers agent. The responses were very vague. It started with I can probably get him at xyandz ...... And then raised it and said he won't go below this xyandz..... now. Probably the reason it's been on the market so long. He's not really saying much to my realtor other than "make an offer."

You need to have your agent talk to the listing agent to find out how motivated the seller really is and what they consider a reasonable offer to be.  Are the sellers responding to the offers?

If the Seller is not accepting your offers and you are not willing to accept the counter offers, then you should move on.  You don't mention a Buyer's Agent.  You should work with one. The Buyer's Agent's are at no cost to Buyes; the commissions are paid by the Seller.

Profile picture for jkazakoff
The seller may well be motivated to sell but not at current market values. Since you didn't tell what responses you have received to your offers, you have three choices. Wait indefinitely for the seller to lower his expectations, improve the terms of your offer which might mean paying his price, or move on and look elsewhere.

Who are you making the offer too ? In my experience REALTORS respond one way or another.  Have you done a home inspection.  A house on the market for 3 years concerns me.