Profile picture for Trump Junior

3 way pull switch...

Ceiling light in bedroom.  I put a 3-way switch on wall outside the bedroom.  I wired it to a new "3-way" pull switch on the lamp, but I have to pull the switch 2 times to get it to turn on or off and in one position, the wall switch can't turn on the lamp.  Did I wire it wrong?  I tried many combinations.  I was unable to find the answer on the internet.  Should I just put a normal 3-way switch on the wall above the bed as seems to be the way most people solve the problem or is there a way to have a 3 way pull switch that works correcly:  1 pull to turn it off and 1 pull to turn it.
  • November 01 2009 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Hi Trump,
You have confused the two.
The 3 way switch is for switching at two or more locations.
The 3 pull switch is for a 3way light bulb or 3 way lamp. ( 50, 100 150 watt lamps )
They do not work hand in hand.

Profile picture for Trump Junior
Hey SoCal,

While I've got you on the line.  If I go the remote switch route, would you recommend the X-10 (which you made a business of repairing!) or a Levitron solution or something else?

Profile picture for Trump Junior
Yes, so far I have been unable to find any such thing as a real 3-way pull switch.  No matter what it says on the box they are really 3-position switches and don't work for what I want.  The only answer so far is I would have to use some kind of remote switching technology, which I haven't tried yet because it would put me out about $150.  I can't believe that in a country so great as America we don't have a 3-way pull switch!!!!!

I once installed a switch by the head of the bed plus one by the door so that the overhead lamp could be operated from both locations.  It was very convenient!

Profile picture for Trump Junior
I think you are right and that is why the switch doesn't perform the way I want.  I guess I am trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and will have to use wall switches all around. 

Anybody have a setup in their bedroom where they can turn the ceiling lamp off or on by a pull switch and also on or off by a wall switch outside the room?  I'd be interested to know if the solution is out there somewhere and I just haven't found it.

Profile picture for bladebuddy
Trump, The only reference I can find to a "3 way pull switch" is the kind you put into fans w/ lights. These are set so that each of the 3 possible "on" positions allow a different Volt&Amp level which makes the fan turn at different speeds.The Sequence of operation (per pull) is: Low, Medium, High, Off

I've never heard of and can't find reference to a switch like the one you describe. Any chance you bought one of these thinking it would do what its just not built to do?

If you can post a link to the pull switch product, I'll take a look and tell you what I think's gone wrong. Other than that, this is the page I use for reference in wiring 3 ways.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch.htm