30 days notice question

I called my leasing office 6 weeks before my lease ends and asked what I needed to sign fill out before I vacate the apartment. Contract states that if you don't give 30 days notice you automatically go month to month after your initial lease ends. They said I would be getting my lease renewal/lease termination form slipped under my door at any time, and to fill it out and return to the office. 3 weeks later I realized I had not received this form from them. Now 3 weeks before the initial lease ends they inform me that since I didn't give them 30 days notice I have to do an entire additional month. I explained that I'm giving them 30 days notice starting today 7/10, (lease initially ended 7/31) and I should be able to move out 8/10. They told me I have to pay for the entire month on August though, since I'm starting a month to month lease, I have to pay for that entire month. They say they can't prorate it because their leases have to end on the last day of every month. Can they legally do this?
  • July 10 2012 - Urbandale
  • 0

Yes, they can do this.   Usually the details are spelled out in the lease.

Profile picture for kawn1955
Usually rent is due on the 1st of the month. They have a mortgage too!
Depends on place, can give you 3 days to pay then a late fee hits. Can be quite high too.