Profile picture for jpoulis

30 year old married couple looking to move.

We currently live in CT and the cost of living and housing is very expensive. We want to take a chance and move to somewhere we can take advantage of a housing decline and a cost of living decline. We were thinking Texas or Florida considering all the news you hear about the housing decline there. We want someone warm if possible. Where would be the best place to move to. I was thinking San Antonio TX seems great but please if someone could point me in the right direction we would appreciate it a lot. 
  • November 27 2012 - US
  • 0

San Diego is America's Finest City! :)

Before jumping in feet first to buy a home in ANY area, you should weigh out the work and long term possibilities as well.  Moving for less cost of living makes sense only if you are able to get work to take advantage of that cost of living.  SD does have a good market for home buyers and both SD and San Antonio are great places for people your age.  But neither is a good option if you can't earn a living.  (A dollar in San Antonio will go a lot further than a dollar in SD though)

Profile picture for jpoulis
I have a job where I will make anywhere between 80k to 110k ( i know its a big swing but hey its sales) and that job will come with me where ever I decided to move. My wife will find work or possible go back to school or both. From what I hear California is very expensive. I would also be open to Florida as well or honestly anywhere it makes the most sense.

Profile picture for wreynol4
Tennessee is a great place to live, especially Knoxville and Nashville.  Thriving cities, low costs of living with plenty to do and see, plenty of jobs, state is run very prudently which are making people in Tennessee wealthier.  Everyone is different but Florida and Texas just seem to hot to me, Tennessee has decently mild winters usually and summers aren't too bad.  Good luck where ever you wind up!

If your sales job goes with you, and is secure...then there are a LOT of places in California you could live comfortably with that kind of money.

If you don't mind living outside of the major cities in CA, that is.  ie 1-1.5 hour drive to Downtown LA for example.  You can find housing well under 200k, and in some cases under 100k.  Contact me for more information if I can be of service, and as you know, California has some of the best warm (relatively dry) weather this country has to offer.

Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck

Yes, Cali can be expensive, that is for sure.  But it also has a lot to offer people your age.  Then again, San Antonio does too.  I would look at some things online and get a feel for what is on the market.  One huge benefit to Florida is the state doesn't tax you on income!

Profile picture for jpoulis
I would love to live in CA (that would be my first choice) but I have visited and it seems extremely expensive to live there I have been to Yorba Linda and LA. I am in the insurance/mutual fund industry and I know Irvine, CA has a lot to offer but again I am worried about cost of living and buying a home to live in but also as an investment. What about Arizona. Also doesnt TX not tax your income as well?

Have you considered Charleston, South Carolina? I moved down here 5 years ago and love it. The beaches and the history in the city are by far amazing. Check this review and video of the area out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LeToRBl6YF0

Profile picture for William Fain
Visiting for an extended stay in any areas you are considering would be good. Florida's Panhandle (North/West Florida) would be a good choice. Warm Climate, Great Beaches,Golfing, No State income tax! Good Luck with your move!

Those are nice areas.  Right now the market in AZ is a buyers haven.  You can get a great home at a great price.  Do you want to live near a metropolitan area?  Irvine would be a good place, as well you might be able to increase your business.  I am in the Palm Desert area, and I can tell you one thing, I love that everyday of the year is summer!

We have 350 days of sunshine here in AZ!

Profile picture for jpoulis
that is great! I wonder if there is any big insurance companies with wholesaling desks to work for. like American Funds/ capgroup, prudential, Pimco does anyone know? also what would be the best area in AZ to buy in. Is there any down side to Arizona that you can think of? Kinda psyched about AZ now.

AZ - hot hot hot!!  (at least for the six months of summer).   In my opinion, the Phoenix metro area has grown way too fast and without sensible planning, but then, it depends on what you like.  

I thought your sales job could move with you?

Profile picture for jpoulis
yes it can move with me but would always like the option of other companies around the area.

Please keep in mind when you are looking at an area where there is a decline in housing and the cost of living that usually means the economy is down also. I would tell you to look at not just housing and how much things ccost, but take a serious look at the unemployment rate and also the average income. If an area has lower housing cost and lower cost of living it  also means that pay rates are usually a lot lower. Do your research.

There are a lot of nice places to move, but moving east coast to texas or west coast will likely be a culture shock. California is nice, but the taxes can be high. SoCal will not reduce your cost of living since real estate is pricey in better areas. NorCal might be an option. You might consider areas like Sacramento/Placer/Stanislaus County.

Texas does not have a state income tax, but property taxes are high. The overall cost of living is low in many suburban areas. Austin and Houston are both nice. San Antonio is nice too, but has a more touristy feel much of the year unless you get out of the hustle and bustle. Texas folks are nice, but have a different vibe than CT folks.

You need to think about lots of different things moving from one region to another. Snow, a little snow or no snow? 2 seasons, 3 seasons or 4 seasons? Urban, suburban or country? Type of people that you want for neighbors? Cultural opportunities? Easy access to airport for travel? If you narrow down what you want, people on Zillow are great about suggesting a list of place that might be worth a look.

Grand Rapids Michigan is a great up and coming city, Great income potential with very affordable housing. You cant beat the weather in the spring summer and fall and lake Michigan is only a 20 min. drive away, but the winters can be a bit cold however not as bad as you might think (averages in the high 20's for most of January and February ) Buy a nice winter coat and come on up I think you would love it here!

Profile picture for jpoulis
I appreciate the reply but I would rather not have cold weather.

If Florida is on your list, then you may want to consider Orlando. Our little big city has a lot to offer. Great dining, arts, active downtown, etc. We still have great deals on homes even with our housing market on the up swing. Good luck where ever you decide to move.

There are opportunities to be found nearly everywhere.  Just choose a place you think you can live comfortably for "x" amount of time.

If I were in your shoes I would move to California, and work from home in the outskirts of a major big city where homes can range from 45k-150k.  The sales tax is terrible (where I live it is over 9% I think), but the property tax is among the lowest in the nation (1.25%).  The state has to "get theirs" from somewhere.  What I will say about So-Cal food prices and everywhere else I have been...groceries are much cheaper out here on average than anywhere else I've been outside of CA.  But our Gas prices (for vehicles) are pretty crummy.  Pros and Cons everywhere.

Best wishes from So-Cal and good luck

You're thinking on the right track! Texas is a great state to move to for a lot of different reasons. We have an increasing job market and room to support more growth in the future. San Antonio is a BEAUTIFUL city full of culture, hills, and history. I grew up near there and currently live in College Station, TX. If you're looking for opportunity, warmth, and affordability, Texas is a great choice. Our cost of living and job opportunities may make it more feasible for you as well. Good luck! It sounds like you'll be embarking on a fun adventure!