Profile picture for shellysal

318 Prairi Dune Way, Orlando FL 32828

Is this property in a flood zone?
  • August 10 2010 - Orlando
  • 0

FEMA also has this information with official flood maps by address on their site for free Here. You need to know that about 70% of houses that flood each year are not in designated flood areas so it is also wise to check local sources like neighbors and newspapers to see if the area has flooded before. Hope it helps.

Shelly,

Great question.  Freeflood.com answers this simple question and a lot more!  With a database covering over 100 million US residential addresses, Freeflood.com is a great source of valuable information.  It is always good to know if your home is in a flood zone OR if your home's flood status has changed since purchasing.

You should consult your insurance agent. They will be able to tell you if the property requires flood insurance. A new survey would also confirm if the property is in a flood zone.

According to the sellers disclosures this property is not known by them to be in a flood zone.

I will say that I live in the community and know it quite well. I am required to get flood insurance, that is until I do get an updated elevation certificate, to show that the property is higher than the flood zone and then have it removed.

I have to get flood insurance, yet both of my neighbors on either side of me do not.

This is a question, best answered by an insurance person, who can look at the most recent maps. But again, the sellers have stated it is not, which likely means they are not paying for flood insurance because it is not required.

It is not always bad to have flood insurance. Yes, it is not free, but I believe mine is about $250 a year.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Profile picture for Gannet
Do a Web search for "Orange County Florida flood maps" (assuming the home is in Orange County).  You will probably find something that will either let you ask the question for a particular address, or at minimum will have a map that should allow you to make a good guess.

Most county government websites, in Florida at least, have resources to answer this question for local properties.