Profile picture for smwilson51

4 months and no activity

Our house has been on the market for 4 months and the agent has not shown it once. Also, have not heard from the agent in 3 weeks. Actually have only spoken to the agent half a dozen times since we listed. The house is in Northern California built in 2001, 2+ bedrooms, 3 bath, wlkin closets, office/hobby room, den, wetbar sunroom, 2 story, garage, workshop, lakeview. We are in a depressed area on a beautiful lake, and are the nicest house on the block. But in the last 3 years several new homes have been built. We are listed at $625,000. About a month ago the agent suggested we drop our price by 30%
At our request she had 2 open houses, both times complaining that it was a waste of time. I am still unclear if these open houses were advertised or not. Any suggestions on working with the agent? We are not opposed to lowering the price but am frustrated with lack of interest on the agents part.

October 18 2007 - US

I'm in the Bay Area, and I know how slow our market it - I'm sure yours is worse; however, the non-communication is inexcusable. You should really talk to your agent's broker. If he/she is the broker, tell him/her that you're unhappy and would like to cancel your contract.

Has your house only had 1 showing in 4 months, or that's the only one the agent had? It really is unacceptable that you have no communication with your agent!!

Profile picture for Janute
We had that problem with our agent too. And that was before things started getting really bad in our area. I had to call him. I did see one ad, but never saw another one and saw them promoting other properties with far less potential and one with a picture of the gate only! I was told there was a problem with the broker. So I not only asked the broker to release us from the contract, I wrote to the Nationwide Franchise Headquarters. They don't have control over the local offices, but they do have something to say about their SOP and they wrote a letter to the broker STRONGLY suggesting they resolve the matter with us. They voided the contract. It's really made me gun shy to trust another agent to try to sell our house.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Have you looked at your contract? Has the listing expired? If so, congrats! You can now find another agent! If not, take Marci's advice.

It sound like your agent doesn't have any experience in a down market or just got spoil during the heyday real estate boom. Maybe she hoping a buyer will just drive by and put an above price offer and she won't have to do anything. Call the broker or just wait till the listing expires. Be careful if your cancell the listing you might still be obligated to pay a commission if you relist with another broker and he get a buyer.

Profile picture for fairygirl43
Get another REA fast! We were in the same boat but stuck it out for the entire 6 months of our contract. I hadn't found this forum yet - if I had known, I would've fired them in May. Fortunately, we have a new wonderful REA and we're set to close on the 30th. I hadn't realized what a difference having a great REA makes until we got stuck with lousy ones.

No contact is inexcusable. However, if your agent recommended a 30% price cut, you may be overpriced. I don't know your area at all, but I do know that there is always somebody buying, and just like anything else. They will buy the home which is the best value to them.

Get a new agent and visit some open houses in your area. Try to be objective. Sometimes we don't see our homes the same way a stranger does. And watch HGTV- designed to sell, etc. Everybody's taste is different, so make sure your home is as neutral as possible. Also, consider hiring a home stager.

Profile picture for the flying dutchman
Dump this agent and find one that has been in business for at least 10 years. The problem I found when I tried to sell my house is that in Northern California you have a lot of new agents that think all they have to do to sell a house is to list it. Many don't want to put in the time and effort required to sell a house. Shop around and find one you are comfortable with.

Profile picture for the flying dutchman
Plus, this is just a really bad time to sell a house. Make sure your price is realistic too.

Profile picture for pub123
I had an agent do nothing at all so I got rid of him FAST and yesterday I recieved an email from him stating I can sell your house in 120 days and if I dont Ill buy it from you...what a joke Ill give you 70% of market value...
gl I know you will find someone that will help you sell it theres alot of good advice in these discussions, read them and take notes.

All you can do is lower the price. I'm sure everyone wants to hear something different, but unless your house is a dump the problem is the price.

Even a good agent can't sell an overpriced home.... unless it's not on mls or you're a FSBO... it's the price.

Hi--

I'm with Marci on this. No communication from your agent is inexcusable. I would call his/her managing broker first to have the listing transferred to abother agent in the office. If your listing contract has expired, it's time to interview other agents.

CWM
San Francisco

Profile picture for smwilson51
Thank you all for the support. We have 2 months left on our contract and think we will just ride it out. I agree we probably need to take another look at the price. The agent has us listed on Craigs list and in a local real estate magazine. I think my problem is more with the lack of communication. We provided the following link to our agent who placed it on their web page. www.take2video.com/house
Sure would like some suggestions on staging, etc.

Thanks again!

4 months and no "activity" and no communication?

PlEASE post in the proper blog, this is a real estate blog!!!

your posting clearly belongs on "badmarriageblog.com"

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
have you been imbibing azrob? LOL

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
azrob....you are cracking me up!

The agent clearly thinks that at your current asking, price she is wasting her time trying to sell your house. You may want to ask yourself if the agent has a good reason for thinking this.

I think your agent wants you to come down in price because most of the properties around you sell for less, but on the other hand your house is more higher end than the rest of the homes around you. The homes around you are a lot smaller than yours, correct? Or maybe I am thinking of the wrong town...You are up by clear lake right?

Lower the price

Difference in Zestimate values
Latest reply by Pasadenan
  • Posted by marybh1
  • In Pricing
I recently went thru a Divorce in Mass. A special master was appointed by the Judge
Latest reply by user57681064
Is it a Sellers' Market in St Petersburg, FL and all Tampa Bay?
Profile picture for Frank & Rebecca Malowany
Latest reply by Frank & Rebecca Malowany
How much would a newly renovated unit be worth in 7710 n. Sheridan unit 305 new kitchen, bath, hard
Profile picture for Nicholas Ryan Rendleman
Latest reply by Nicholas Ryan Rendleman
  • Posted by Valerie Urso
  • In Pricing
What is/are the BEST and WORST MONTHS to list house for sale?
Profile picture for Kathie Godfray
Latest reply by Kathie Godfray