Profile picture for zuser20140620163621957

439 Nunnally Farm Rd Monroe, GA (is Radon level above 4.0 really unsafe?)

I was in a contract with seller of 439 Nunnally Farms Rd , Monroe GA 30665,  as part of the home inspection I had a radon test performed. It came back at 4.5, above 4.0 is considered unsafe by EPA.  Should the seller have remedied this situation or at least offered a price reduction so I could have corrected the situation?  According to what I have read radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer.  Any information would be appreciated.

June 20 - Monroe

According to the EPA Standard it is and should be mitigated.

June 21
Radon of 4.5 is slightly out of range.  To put it in perspective , some home basements measure in the 100s.    A 4.5 is like getting second hand smoke from the guy in front of you on the freeway every couple of months. 

How was the radon test run?   When my house was tested, it was done in the back corner of the basement with all windows closed,  no one walking through, and no forced air heat for several days.    This is a worst case scenario.  

So, you may wish to install remediation, it isn't an emergency.   There are no "shoulds" in real estate.  You can negotiate with the seller, decide to install it yourself, or decide the worst case scenario could be followed up with real life scenarios.   (For example when my basement failed at 4.2, I tested the main floor and the basement with normal air flow.   The basement came out with a 0.5 and the main floor was below limits of detection.

The costs of radon remediation can vary tremendously depending on what it takes.  I spent $200, but one probably could spend far more.

June 20