Profile picture for BoulderHomeHunter

5.5% for 30 yer fixed for 275K FHA is fine ?

I am buying my first house. My credit score is around 730. Selling price 285 K, with seller paying 2K for closing. I pay 18K as down payment. FHA loan from my bank can be locked at 5.5% for 30 year fixed with no points. The bank charge an application fee of $395. They estimate the total closing fee as $2500.  Is the loan offer a good deal ?
  • July 06 2009 - Superior
  • 0

I work for a banker so our correspondant pricing shows 5.5% at a rebate of 2.678% today and thats with the price deterioration that occurred twice today...This means we make 2.678% in commission on the back end side. Usually a lender pays the originator a commission in exchange for a higher rate. What it looked like today was:

5% = .25% rebate
5.25% = .75% rebate
5.5% = 2.5% - 2.678%

5.5 is the sweet spot right now, where investors are paying a good chunk of commission. I am quoting 5.25% on FHA purchases right now, but it all depends on the scenario.

Its a good deal but I would see what the difference between 5% and 5.5% is in payment...if its worth it, which it is, tell your agent to come down to 5.25% or 5% and pay a small upfront origination instead of rebating the agent almost 3 points.

Just my opinion, call if you need help!

Profile picture for BoulderHomeHunter
 I did not realize  that they added the UFPMI  to the loan amount. For FHA it MI is 1.7% of the loan (~$4500). Now at 5.5, they are offering 2K as credit. (Or 5.375 with 0.25 points) . I chose 5.5 with 2K credit since it eases up my cash reserve situation.

Profile picture for SunTrust
I'll agree with Nic.  0 points would put you around 5.25% but 5.5% still is close.

FHA doesn't allow an application fee; perhaps it's a commitment fee?

The UFMIP alone is over $2,500 (even if its financed), it sounds like there are things missing from your estimate.

That's not a bad deal Boulder you may be able to get 5.25% with a little more shopping around.  Depending on how long you plan on staying in the residence you may consider trying to get a lower rate with perhaps half a point. Does the bank have a lower rate option with a bit more fees?

Profile picture for Justin Kennedy
yes, rate and points sound right on. the closing cost sound a bit low. does the 2,500 and 2,000 (total 4,500) in seller credit include your new impound account, 1y hazard insurance premium, escrow, title.
double check. countless times i have seen impounds left off the good faith estimate.