5 Strategies To Secure Your Home Against A Break In

Having your home broken into is completely violating. Burglars don't just steal your stuff; they steal your peace of mind. While this is the sort of thing you think will never happen to you, it's worth the time and effort to make sure you're not a target. Below are five strategies to help secure your home against a break-in. 1. Use Landscaping as a Barrier 2. Put in a Security Alarm 3. Install Motion Sensor Lights  4. Hide your spare key better  5. Don't Facebook or Tweet your trips.  For the full blog post you can get to it from our profile.

October 10 2013 - US

"1. Use Landscaping as a Barrier"

Trouble is if your landscape is a barrier then your house is often less visible if they do get in. The hedge that does not keep a burglar out gives them great privacy for robbing you without detection. Just ask my hedge loving neighbor.

One of the best burglar deterrents is having a dog. Burglars are lazy and don't want to deal with the attention they bring. There are other things you can do to prevent burglaries too, but it all starts with locking your door with a deadbolt before you leave.

Dogs is number one for deterrents , even a sign saying beware of dog is helpful even if you don't have one.

Another big thing is if your garage is attached to your home and has
entry to your home and you had a electric door opener installed, and it has
the factory setting on it (without giving out to much info on here) just change the code. It is easy to do.
You can look in your owners manual , or wing it ...look for a place that has the numbers or letters on them, they maybe under a cover.
The other place is in the remote...they both look the same.
move the slides up and down to change the factory setting in each one and make them match.
You have just changed the codes.

If you have a spare key in the flower pot, under the mat, or under a rock close to the entrance...there not hid from anyone.
I have a lot of clients that think this is safe, well if I know about it so does a burglar.
-Joseph-

I wish many of my friends and family would take your advice on not posting on Facebook about their trips.  In addition to motion lights and an alarm, I recently put up a wrought iron fence around my home!

In addition, homeowners should be aware of how easy it is to pick most residential door locks. If you haven't heard about lock "bumping", Google it or watch some of the YouTube videos. Someone can break into your home, steal everything you have, and leave no trace of a break-in.

There are several excellent "bumping-proof" high-security locks such as Medeco, Mul-T-Lok, and Schlage PRIMUS (not the ordinary Schlage). In addition to the extra physical security features, keys to these locks can NOT be duplicated unless you're the registered owner and go to a locksmith who has the special tools to make a duplicate key.

Great ideas! You can never be too careful with your property!

Profile picture for BungalowMo
I came very very close to being broken in to.  My neighbors know my normal work schedule, so I'm assuming that other, less desirables probably knew it as well.

One day while getting ready for work, something kept telling me "stay home"!  I tried to ignore it but it kept coming back stronger.  I have always listened to my instincts, so I called in & stayed home. 

FFWD to that evening.  Sitting on the couch watching TV.  I thought I heard something so I hit mute.  Sure enough...I could hear my mud room screen door latch making it's familiar noise.

Now...some may agree & some may not...but... I went to my kitchen door just inside the mud room & swung that door open SO fast...I started screaming "What The F*%$ Do You Think You're Doing"!!!!!!  He freaked out & started running & I started running after him calling him everything I could think of.  (mostly lazy *bleep*....get a *bleep* job & buy your own *bleep*

All that time I hadn't even called the police & didn't until I got back home.  I was SOOOO angry!  I wasn't afraid at all.  I know in hindsight that was a bad move to make, but it's amazing what your mind makes you do when that situation is real time.

Several days later, my neighbor told me he'd talked to some of the more sketchy teens that used to hang around & told them what happened.  With one exception.  He told them I had my pistol & that dude was lucky.

So...after that, they all thought of me as the 5' lady with gun...which was ok with me.  This was about 3 years ago & we had a lot of issues with some "kids" hanging around out neighborhood.

I just decided that I refuse to be the victim!  I got tired of the trash thinking they can take over.  We had something like 115 calls to the Police in August of 2012 for just the house across from me & the one next door.  I had had enough!!

April 27

New home with dryer vent issue.
Profile picture for three kidz dam
Latest reply by three kidz dam
August 10 | 6 answers
Seller lied on disclosure about septic
Profile picture for Maryanne Moody
Latest reply by Maryanne Moody
August 07 | 13 answers
Polished Concrete Floors
Profile picture for decopour
Latest reply by decopour
July 28 | 32 answers
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo
April 27 | 6 answers
7 Things To Do Before You Move Into A New House
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo
April 27 | 2 answers

Sign in with Google