Profile picture for hwosu

8000 Tax Credit file now or later?

Hi, my wife and I will close on our new home June 15.  We are currently under contract.  We have already filed our taxes, so after we close we will need to file a amended return to get our credit.  Now from what I have heard it would take 4 - 6 months to receive a credit for the amended return.  Should we just wait till 2011 to file the credit on our 2010 return?  What do you guys think?
  • March 06 2010 - Rialto

It shouldn't take 4-6 months to get your tax credit. What slows folks down is failing to properly fill out the forms or not providing all the necessary documentation for filing.

Go the IRS's website for instructions on how to properly file.

I've got to think getting your money in hand sooner  than later is the preferred choice.