AGENTS: marketing on Zillow - Am i the only one not getting ANY leads

Agents who list with Zillow are hoping to make themselves more accessible to potential buyers and sellers.  Since signing on with zillow I have never been contacted by any buyer or seller. 

Is anyone else having this experience?
  • January 12 2012 - US
  • 0

How to get leads on Zillow?   Simply purchasing the Premier Agent status doesn't tend to do it, you need to make yourself visible in a positive way. 

I took the time to do some basic research on Zillow to see if I'd contact you if I were looking in your area.

I started by clicking on your profile and read your description as if I were looking for an agent for buying or selling.  While I did appreciate the reference to the labradoodle and goldendoodle due to my dog bias, I remember a lot of sports comments in your description but haven't the slightest clue how you will help me in the real estate process.  I'd then move on. 

Next I check to see your contributions.   Although you've been around for more than 2 months, it is only 5.  You gave a couple of excellent answers in advice - that is good.    How about a few more?   No, you don't have to live in advice, but few dozen thoughtful answers will help potential clients know how you think and what you know.

Then I clicked on your listing, and scrolled through the photographs.  Although you commented in your profile about staging, I don't see any clue in the photos, nor expertise in photography.  The kitchen counters are uncluttered (good) but the refrigerator has snippets all over the front.   Many of the rooms have photos of the owner's stuff, but I have no clue what the room is.  The deck has icky stuff (perhaps leaves) and a random hose cluttering up the deck.  The back yard photos are very high contrast, and a bit out of focus.

Now that I've read the profile, a few contributions, and looked at your advertising - I've decided you don't stand out among your competition.  So, I'd move on without contacting you.  You are probably irritated at my comments, but breath deeply and keep your brain open.      Every one of my comments offers you some options on how to make it better and get clients to contact you.  (You might also spend some time studying your competitions profiles, advertising etc on Zillow for comparison)

When you go under 'Professionals' and type in your zip and Newport News you are just past 40 other agents in the same category and zip code.

Perhaps you can add some zip codes in your profile to make you more searchable. Or look for zip codes with a lower representation of agents.

I'm not a 'Premier agent' but I am searchable in multiple zip codes where I have expertise (I don't claim zip codes where I have no expertise or familiarity with the market).

This could be one of the greatest threads ever, but it won't.

Kelly, you have to work here a while first. I'm a huge Soccer fan. I'd like to call you because of that.

Good Luck with Zillow. I'd spend my money elsewhere, if I were you. Contact me through my profile if you'd like. You can get my other three cents worth.

I noticed that your profile doesn't show some things that it should like years in business, etc...you may want to go through all the editable stuff again.

Zillow has been great for me! I just closed my 3rd deal from it. I've found that getting good reviews is the most important thing, followed by a personal phone call to the potential lead as soon as they email you about a house. If I don't make that connection over the phone it's pretty much dead. You want to build some sort of rapport right away and its basically impossible with just emailing.

Well, I, personally, have never paid to be a "premier agent", yet I have done several deals from my internet presence (moreso from trulia, to be honest, than zillow). I did pay to be a trulia "Pro" for a year way back when I first started.............and, ironicaly,  got more business after I dropped that .

You can't, imo expect to get tons of business.................maybe a few leads here and there, perhaps.....................with some time being wasted by people you see once, and never again...........it happens...but hopefully there will be a few that do work out.

Those who have contacted me have done so after "following me around" and observing the content of my responses. (this is what they told me when I asked). They also referenced my website which had my blogs - also visible on trulia -  and a number of helpful links, that I can also reference when answering questions.

One client told me they liked that I actually answered that was asked, rather than recite typical, trite  prhrases or go off on speeches like, "it's a great time to buy"...."you get what you pay for", etc etc.

Bottom line......you need to be consistant and respond when you can offer something of value.
Letting your personality shine through, imo, is also helpful, as people can get an impression of you - one that will hopefully encourage them to select you from  others in your area.
Above all...........make sure you know what you're talking about! If you offer advice - make sure it is accurate!

I don't think reviews ultimately make the difference......consistanly leaving good advice will make the difference.....you only have 5 contributions..........you need to add to that number

BTW - I think Wetdawgs breakdown of his impression of your profile is excellent advice.........

thanks for ALL  the great advice.  I'm just getting started and will be making some adjustments asap :-)

to WETDAWGS  thanks for taking some time on me :-)  the pics on that listing make my skin craw!  but I was paired with a senior agent on that one (it being my first) and really had to take a back seat even though it is my client.  You can be sure I thought about going back to retake pics myself but we got offer quickly... good and bad I guess. 

Def. need to change my text if sports is coming across to strong though.

thanks again!

You are very welcome.   I hope it helps, and thanks for responding.

I have been active on Zillow for one month and am learning as I go. I found this question very interesting and will give the answers some serious thought. PS. message to wetdawgs. I would like to hear more of your ideas. Please look up my profile and let me hear from you.

Hi Wes:

In your profile, I've got a number of suggestions:

*  First focus on how you can help the buyer or seller.  For example, with the current text start with ideas of "I am a native Louisvillian and I know the character and uniqueness of each neighborhood. Zip codes 40207, 40299, 40059, and 40245 are my specialties."  Give some examples - chocolate shops, access to certain employers, privacy or good neighbor interactions, quiet from freeway noise etc may be examples of how you can go beyond "just houses" for buyers and sellers.

*  If I were looking for an agent in your area, I wouldn't care about your participation in Zillow, thumbs up etc except as I spend time reading your posts for thoughtful contributions showing knowledge, sensitivity to the person who asks the question and knowledge.  Here's a link to get started on useful tips for effective contributions on Zillow to help your professional reputation. 

* Use paragraphs.  

* Other things:  click around the entire Zillow website.  There is tremendous amount of knowledge embedded here, there and everywhere.  Some of it provides guides you can share with your clients, some helps you with understanding things such as the Zestimate, and Zillow offers training to help you in your career.  Here are some links such as the Zillow academy. , What Zillow offers agentsTraining Videos.   On the advice board, try the various sorting options.   One that is often overlooked is the "guides" (uncheck all boxes except guides over on the left). 

When I received a black belt in Karate, I was presented with the belt and the statement that has remained with me many years since "Now you are ready to learn".  

Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
@ wes, ditto on using paragraphs... I remember having issues with zillow's formatting, use Word if you have to, but get those page breaks in.

also, wetdawgs is probably wong to minimize thumbs up contributions. its easy to become jaded when you have over 6,000 thumbs up, but remember the average user doesn't haunt zillow. they don't know were to look or what an "all star premiere agent" is, but it sounds impressive, no? I say keep it, but if it were me I would put it together with a resume(not a full resume, more like vital stats on a basket ball card) section and an about me section leading with the *brief* about me section. focus on relatable things like personal connections or what types of colonials really get you excited and leave it at that. I also don't think born and raised in loisville is important, but then, i wasnt so...

years and zip codes, honors and awards, education(if 4+ years), mentorship or special experience... the words "I volunteer doing xyz" have never hurt anyone, fyi... well, as long as you never worked in Houserville, PA... sorry. bad joke.

to be honest, my eyes glazed over when you started talking about your broker and his values... now that could be ~my~ bias showing, but I say ditch it or couch it in terms of "my buddy and business partner rich who shares my values" and yadda yadda. if i knew anything about SRC, i'm probably finding you through your broker's site, not zillow.

also remember that your profile is searchable too, so maybe a neighborhood or two "I have a list of references that stretches all over highneck rise and duchy mizra" for instance. (places and names are made up)

specialties could be redone, its boring and you dont tie it back to your profile at all. "Buyer's agent, Listing agent"... (well so much for specializing)
"consulting" ... I don't even know what that means. I could probably put it on my resume.

also something that makes it feel like you've given zillow attention recently like a reference to your recent trip to Charleston or something couldn't hurt. people like realtors who value having fun and arent *all* business all the time.

on another note... sooo, i notice you are simultaneously selling 2 separate homes with pink bedrooms. is that a thing over in Louisville?

Hi Kelly, it seems that buyers are more intrested on the home then on the agent at first. When you list your homes make sure you take good pics, practice taking good pics. The better the pic the better the results. Remember the goal is for you to pick their intrest enough for them to communicate with you. (that is the "getting" part) Once you establish contact, some how, some way, make sure he stays with you. "From the time we met, to the time i deliver the keys to you, I will walk with you throu the whole process" The best way is to share with him why they need an agent on their side, why they need you on their side. keep them updated on listings, there is systems for that. (this is the "keeping" part). and finally find a way to distribute the updated info to him, and alway be closing. Best closing for me "how do you feel about making an offer on this home?"
Recap
Get & keep clients, distribute your service.
ps. Who sells homes?
listing agents "market" homes.
buyers agents sell their "service".
new home builders "sell" homes.
Focus.  :)

I get at least a few leads per day.. Most are bad leads but every now and then one is ok

Hey guys, I actually started the Premiere Agent program about 4 months ago and have had about 4 legitimate leads.  I've been contacted about 11 times but quite a few have been bogus leads.  Initially I only had 1 review, on my profile but have since gained a couple more.  However, they way I figured it, if I close one deal from a Zillow lead, it'll pay for itself.  Well one of my deals might end up being 4, because my clients mom will need to sell her house, buy a new one, and has 1031 money to invest.  Talk about an awesome relationship through one lead.  Don't be discouraged, but at the same time monitor your stats and see if you're getting the viewership you should.  I got started on Zillow due to a co-worker in my office who's had quite a bit of success.  He definitely gets a lot more leads than I do, and he has about 9 or 10 reviews.  Wetdawgs has some fantastic suggestions, some of which I'll need to get to work on right away as well.  I wish you the best as a Premiere Agent.  

P.S.  I just purchased another zipcode today....wish me luck.  ;) 

Ted, I wish you luck and applaud your enthusiasm........

@ Ted:  Many thanks for the compliments on my suggestions.  Much appreciated!

Welcome aboard.

Honestly, I think Zillow charges too much for leads you could get off other free sources. I paid for a years worth of "leads" and got a bunch of mediocre clients, no closed transactions.  Save your $, just get out and talk to your COI more.

well, as I pointed out when I first responded here, I don't have any reviews (personal choice not to pursue that avenue)............am not a premier agent..........and don't own any zip codes.......yet I have done business - actual closed sales -  as a result of my presence here.....and to be fair, on trulia, as well.

Answer questions, Ted...build a personal "library" of responses that consumers can reference.........and have a website that offers useful information........maybe some blogs that you can use as a point of reference, too..

It's not one thing that will make a difference, imo, but a compilation of information that helps consumers get a sense of who you are.

Wetdawgs excellent suggestions will be most useful...........reread what he said on his first post here!

Good luck....

ps  btw, wetdawgs are you a boy dog or a girl dog?
:)

just as a follow up, and out of curiosity..........Wes, you asked Wetdawgs for input................wetdawgs spent time and effort and I thought offered you a lot of excellent suggestions.

That was Jan 24..............it's now Feb 14, and you haven't acted on any of his invlauable ideas.........still no paragraphs.........still way too much (imo) "stuff" about zillow's recognition and thumbs ups.....all the zillow stuff is  meaningless to the average consumer.
It's just filler, and comes across as a bunch of yadda yadda yadda (all of this is just my opinion, of course).

Anyway.........I was just wondering why you hadn't acted on any of the advice you were given.

Some question to ask. Did you buy any zip code shares? How much traffic is there for your area from zillow? Did you put all your listing?

Profile picture for Gail Wyatt
We purchase 50% of the zip code in my town.  We added 20-30 other zips we service.  I have been on Zillow for 25 days.  Have had 59 leads. Wrote 5 offers and have 4 to close in next week to 6 weeks.

Thank you Debra for the question to Wes.  Frankly, I was astonished and miffed at the lack of response (not even a "thank you" within this thread to several posters who went out of their way to offer valuable advice), nor action on the advice.   If I were a potential client in his area, just this one thread would keep me from initiating contact.

And, I agree.   If I followed Debra (Debbie) Rose around the forums, I would contact her due to the high quality of input and lack of one liner number bumping posts (assuming I were looking in her area).

@Debbie:  both wet dawgs are girls.  The non-avatar dawg is ancient (112 human equivalent), so I may have to change my name to wetdawg within the next few months. =-(

you're welcome Wetdawgs.......and thank you, too!

I think Wes is too busy adding more one liners to pay attenton to this thread.......

Gail, I must say........you sound like you won the zillow lottery!

59 "leads".....5 offers - all  in 25 days, and 4 are closing soon???

(come on, you can tell us...how much did Z pay you to say that?)

:)

ahhhh,  wetdawgs... m'aam - thanks for the clarification!!

Profile picture for TopNJAgent
Great advice from Wetdawgs and a reminder to do the same exercise on my own profile/presentation. As with most things, the answer likely "lies within"

Although I have not gotten the paragraphs formatted correctly, I have made extensive changes to my about me section. Shortened, polished, and it is much more crisp. I decided to keep the reference to thumbs up and believe it is now quick reading. One liners have been eliminated. I am now concentrating on quality and thorough answers. I do appreciate all the input, especially wet dawgs. I am trying to encourage buyers in my specific market area and it seems to be working even better since the changes. Hope this helps calm the critics.

Profile picture for Darcy.Logan
Hi Kelly - I stumbled upon this thread this morning and am dying to know how things are going for you?  I didn't see your profile before, but it looks like you took to heart the tips some of the forum steadfasts gave in reviews of your profile.  Would love to hear if the tweaks have materialized into an improvement in Zillow performance for you.

I have been an advertiser for a very long time with very good results. Though it seems to me that the prices they are charging now are not reflecting the quality leads I was recieving. It was very hard to weed out the looky lous ad real buyers. How is it working out for you now?

Profile picture for UtahHomeHub
I get a few.  Maybe one a month.  It's usually from a buyer who wants to see a particular listing.  But I have had a few good seller leads as well.  I can track 4 closings over the past year from zillow.  And I only started paying to be a "Premeire Agent" a few days ago.

Wow, this was great advice. Thanks to all of you - I'm new to Zillow, as well, and the info on the zip codes and the reviews helps a bunch. Just wanted to say Thanks for sharing!

There are some good tips from everyone here. 

I would do the following with your profile.

1.  Update your Tagline
2.  Include more Zip Codes, Cities to the areas you cover (if possible)
3.  Continue adding more reviews (it can help you push up on the agent rankings)
4.  Continue answering questions for buyer/sellers in Zillow and increasing your contributions. 

1. 1
  2. 2