Profile picture for FOG1

AMT and fifteen year mortgages.

I find myself limited in my ability to refinance anything close to the value of my property and to continue to deduct the interest.  I had taken out a loan for $225K for 15 years, and now it is paid down to about $126K.  If I borrow $225K, I can continue to deduct the interest on Schedule A, as it is not more than 100K over the existing loan, but I cannot deduct interest on the amount above 126K on AMT.  No one talks about that when discussing the advantages of 15 year versus 30 year mortgages.

April 28 2010 - US

What you are seeking for can only be provided by your tax preparer or CPA who is knowledgeable about the tax laws and changing rules.  

Talking about any "tax" advantages are strictly prohibited in the financial industry unless you are qualified and willing to take the responsibility.  

Financing options for Manufactured home with land?
Latest reply by user23445520
May 20 | 8 answers
HomePath Loans Are Easy To Close
Profile picture for Michael  Pearlman
Latest reply by Michael Pearlman
May 15 | 26 answers
We have a 2007 manufactured home on an acre of land and on FHA foundation. We have it for sale but
Profile picture for Brian  Des Rochers
Latest reply by Brian Des Rochers
April 25 | 4 answers
80-10-10 loans
Profile picture for Robert Spinosa
Latest reply by Robert Spinosa
April 13 | 6 answers
Renovation Loan
Profile picture for Scott Frasetto
Latest reply by Scott Frasetto
March 20 | 11 answers