Profile picture for deejee

ASSESORS OFFICE

I RECEIVED A NOTICE FROM THE ASSESSORS OFFICE TO CONTACT THEM FOR AN APPT. TO REVIEW MY PROPERTY.  WHY DO THEY DO THAT?  WHAT FOR?  DO THEY COME INTO MY HOUSE OR JUST LOOK AT THE OUTSIDE?  I HAVE LIVED IN MY HOME FOR 10-YEARS AND I DO NOT RECALL THEM EVER WANTING TO DO THIS BEFORE?  I HAVE HAD APPRAISELS DONE WITHIN THE PAST 10-YEARS, CAN I JUST GIVE THEM THAT?  I DON'T ESP. WANT THEM IN MY HOME.
  • June 12 2009 - Richfield
  • 1

You need to ask them why they want to come. Some assessor's visit homes to try to do a better assessment, some do it to reassess property that they think is worth more than the current value. It really depends on your community. I would call the assessor and ask them why they want to come in and if it outside inspection or whole house inside too. Tell them you feel uncomfortable about having strangers in your house and ask if you have to agree to that under the law. You might also consider talking to a local RE agent in your area. Many are familiar with how the assessors in the local area operate and may be able to give you some insight from their professional point of view. Most are helpful and would be happy to talk to you about it.

Let us know what the assessor's office  says when you inquire. 

Sometimes this sort of request occurs when there are suspicions that the home has had some remodeling done that adds value but the value hasn't been included in the assessment.    If this hasn't occurred, you have no reason to be concerned.   If it has occurred, I can see the concern but don't see how to get around it.  

Good luck.

Profile picture for real estate mike
I would be quick to communicate with them since in todays realty climate whatever happens will most likely reduce your assessors value. The two exceptions I could foresee would be major improvements or a potential zoning change on your property. In the rare case that they do raise your value now, there is most likely a local firm who could protest the raised value and only get paid if they get it lowered.

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
from a safety point of veiw, go online and find the number for the county assessor's office BEFORE calling any number on some letter you got in the mail, no matter how official it looks. call the office and ask for, by name, the assessor who is supposed to make an appt with you.

i would be skeptical of such a letter

and sunny is correct that the very next questions out of your mouth should be "why?"  "what if i dont?" and "is this required by law?"