Profile picture for mollyduffy

About how much it costs to build a nice 2,500 sq. ft. house with a garage in Framingham, MA?

I'm sure there are a lot of variables that effect the cost but I was looking for a ballpark figure on how much it would cost to build a 2 story 2,500 sq. ft. house (3-4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths) with a 2 car garage in Framingham, MA?  I'm looking for how much it would cost just to build the house on a lot we already have but would need to completely tear down that house and rebuild.  There is mold in the basement too and the existing house is smaller then the one we want to build - not sure if that effects price or if we have to build a new foundation or what.  I'm not sure how much all the details matter but we want granite countertops, a fireplace, and a few built in's too.  Oh yeah, and a front porch and large deck in the back.  Does anyone know about how much a house like this would cost?

• November 05 2009 - Framingham
  • 1

Can someone also comment on per sf rebuilding costs in Lexington?
Also, names and contact information of a few buidlers who work in Lexington and nearby areas will be helpful!

I can put you in  touch with a number of builders that I have worked with that can build a home starting at $135 per square foot. I would be glad to make an introduction.

Profile picture for warrenroad
I have an approved building lot, 13000+ sq. feet on Warren Road.  It has direct views and water access to Learned Pond. It is the last building lot on the Pond.

Profile picture for shapiroamg
start with Angelo:

http://www.aatofaniconstruction.com/

He does a lot of work in the area. He has done work for me in my first home in Framingham. Feel free to drop my name with him.

Another thing to consider. Depending on how your lot is set up, if you go outside the footprint of your existing foundation you made need a variance. That means you will need to get an attorney and go before the zoning board of appeals. Its not impossible, but then your neighbors can start commenting on your plans. If you need to do this, it would be best to have conversations with them to make sure they know what you are trying to do.

Construction can be done at anytime during the year and a good builder will plan accordingly to make your disruption as minor as possible. We started in a slab ranch as well and Angelo built an addition for us that worked out great. Have you considered just blowing out the back of the house without doing a complete rebuild or second floor? The typical campinelli slab could conceivably have two wings built off the back, a master BR and a kitch and family room on the the other end. This might not be great if you have a small back yard though.

Profile picture for mollyduffy

All these responses have been so helpful!  Thank you all so much!

If anyone has the names and contact information of any builders in the Framingham, MA and surrounding areas I would be very appreciative.

Does anyone know if we could use the existing foundation?  The foundation is about 37 feet wide and 24 ft. deep.  Our plan is 36 ft. wide and 34 ft. deep, but we'd have to move the house over 10 feet to the left (because we have to have 15 ft. on each side) so I don't know if that means we have to add to the existing foundation or if we can just build up from the ground.  Also, we are adding a story (it's a ranch now) but we had one person look at it and they thought we could add a story with the kind of foundation we have. 

Also, how long does it usually to take to build a house like this?  Can this project be started in the winter?

I am not from your area but I do some building.

One of things that is hard to do is give people accurate prices without knowing what all of the specs are. However I will attempt to give you a ball park idea. Without getting into the existing house problem.

Consider pricing it out from a modular home builder. I think you should be able to build it for somewhere between 80 and 110 per sf.
If you used the existing foundation it would save you about 15.00sf for the foundation size. Maybe you can use the existing foundation and add to it to get the size you want.
Using the existing foundation will save you around 17-25,000
But if you have to tear it out and haul it away you will spend another 5-10,000.
Modular construction is very good check out www.simplexhomes.com

Profile picture for shapiroamg
There are plenty of builders but they would probably want plans first so they could properly quote. Another bid question will be the foundation basement. If you have to rebuild that, costs go up. My guess would be about $250-300k but feel free to contact me for some builder and designer's names. You also need to think about how to finance this if you dont have the cash.

you could approximate around 220 a sqaure foot for a nice house. I work with builders who do this all the time in the Framingham area. if you want some names please feel free to contact me through my profile.