Profile picture for nickey12

About to list home for rent on golf course community in New Market, MD and have alot of questions...

We would love to tackle this ourselves.  I think Zillow is a great tool but does the average person know about this site?  Where does one turn to when they need a home to rent out?  Any advice on doing it yourself as far as writing up lease agreement, marketing, etc? Thanks!
Jennifer

• March 29 2011 - New Market
  • 0

I find that many people do know about Zillow, but they do not know how much innacurate info is in the site.  You can do it yourself but selling , buying or renting on your own has many risks and consequences.
Read carefully the contracts you sign. Realtors exits because their is a real need for them and because most offer a real valuable service to their customers and customers recognize the many benefits of a good realtor. 

Good luck.

I hope you decide on using a Realtor. I have been a licensed Broker for 13 years and have helped many clients out who have success stories and nightmares while renting their homes. The benefit of using a Realtor is that we understand the Maryland State standardized forms and your rights as well as your tenants. I hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer any specific questions for you.

I sold my home in the middle of winter and listed it with a flat fee ($795.00) with Clark properties.   I offerd an additonal $1000 to the selling agent to handle all the paperwork.  A couple of our friends have done the same thing and were very pleased. SOLD their home last month in 2 weeks. Feel free to call me if you have questions.

There are a couple of websites that will place you on all the various listing sites. eproperties is one of them Good Luck.

I don't believe Zillow is enough.  They simply don't get enough buyer traffic. Zillow isn't the #1 website, not even really close.  I am a Maryland Flat Fee Broker, our sellers pay a low flat fee to be listed in the Realtors MLS.  As part of our package sellers are placed on Zillow.com, as well as more popular websites like Realtor.com, Trulia.com, HomesDatabase.com, etc.  When we track where buyers find our sellers' homes, Zillow is few and far between.

Remember that statistically 86% of buyers use a buyer agent to find property, and those agents will use the Multiple Listing Service, not Zillow or other websites that are available to the general public.  Our packages also include the standard Realtor Association forms to sell or lease a property, as well as answers to your questions from a licensee. Good luck in your transaction.  Thanks. 

Jennifer,
I think the average person DOES know about this site, that why I spend my advertising dollars to have my listings placed on here AND featured.  Zillow is a Great Tool to sell homes!

As far as agreements, in general, I'd always recommend an attorney.  Many will do it for less than you might think, considering what's at stake, and make sure they are on YOUR side.

Most agents, will have forms that have been drafted by attorneys and approved by a state body of some type.  Such as here in Texas, we use forms approved by Texas Real Estate Commission for most things and some that were drafted by the the committes for our State Association, The Texas Association of Realtors.  Perhaps your local agents have access to something similar?

There is also the internet, but I'd think twice about that.  You don't know anything about who drafted the agreement, or if they are even enforceable should something go wrong.