Adding On

We are considering adding on 450 sq. ft. to the back of our home which would include a kitchen and dining expansion, a full bath and separate laundry room. We are looking for a rough estimate on cost to build. Thanks!
  • September 28 2013 - Irvine

You will need contractors estimates from the area where you live a let them give you real cost estimates for your area.
It cant be figured based on sq. footage mainly because it has a kitchen in it.
That in itself would require a design or at least a 'Kitchen floor plan' then it would depend on the quality of cabinetry, which varies a lot !
Same for the bathroom, unless you are just gonna settle for a builder grade, you may want a design there as well.
I would start with getting a kitchen design done and cabinetry quote, a bathroom design (if needed) then you should contact a general contractor and go over the information you require for your add on.
You should be able to get a good estimate based on these things.

But please do a little homework on the contractors you seek bids from, don't let the lowest estimate over ride your decision to hire.
Hire the best that you feel is the best for your project, we contractors all do things differently and price bid based upon the materials we use and the quality of workmanship we bring to the jobs as individuals.

A lot of times I will tell the client up front (if I see where the conversation is going) if you are looking for the cheapest, that will not be me, I don't use cheap materials and the way I do things are above codes.
Codes are the acceptable minimal , that isn't good enough for me.

I do wish you well and I hope that you find a great contractor you can use for many years to come.

Now about another issue that you mentioned the laundry room, please consider having (instead of the norm.) 2 dryers since you are in the design stages...think about it washer has a 15min. cycle vs a dryer with a 60 min cycle.
-Joseph-