Profile picture for claribou

Adding Upstairs Bathroom

One of the houses I am considering for purchase needs to have an upstairs bathroom installed.  From what I saw, there does not seem to be any plumbing on the upstairs level at all.  What would be the general price range to add a moderate-sized (8'x8') full bath?  Plumbing? Fixtures? Drywall? Labor? This would be near the main floor bathroom, but it might not be directly above it.
  • March 22 2009 - Historic Midtown
  • 0

This is something that can vary so widely that one can't venture a guess in a forum like this.   Find some reputable contractors in your neighborhood for estimates.   

Profile picture for claribou
I won't make an offer until I know how much (roughly) it's going to cost me, but no one will give me a guesstimate until they see the house.  I'm really just asking for a best case/worst case scenario.

So far only 2 contractors have been willing to give me any kind of rough number. One of them said $5K-$10K for the entire project.  The other one said $3K, but from the rest of what he told me, I'm guessing that's only the plumbing, and he seemed to be expecting me to do most of the work myself.

Browsing Home Depot, I think I can budget $1500 for the toilet, sink/vanity, and tub/shower.  But is there any way for me to guess the costs for plumbing, electrical, drywall, flooring, labor BEFORE I make an offer on the house?  I'm just asking how many thousands of dollars should I set aside?

If not, is it common to have a cost-of-improvements contingency in the contract, and have contractors come in during the inspection period?

You should be able to get a contractor to meet you on-site before placing an offer. The reason they are being so evasive is that you never know what problems are coming until you crack the walls open. You can get a better idea by looking at the specific house (slope, the way the walls go together, where plumbing is downstairs in relation to where it is desired upstairs). Do you have a desire to do any of the work yourself?

I just added a bathroom upstairs in my home. I paid the contractor about 1300 to do the plumbing and make the wires hot. I pulled wire, framed out walls, did drywall, tiled, attached fixtures, build shelving, built new door frame and salvaged the door from another room (it has a jack and jill/continental style, requiring 2 doors), etc. etc. All and all the bathroom with very basic fixtures cost me about 3k, but that is a pretty low dollar figure for a new bathroom with plumbing pulled over. My guess is paying someone else to do everything, with mid-grade fixtures, for a smaller full bathroom, probably 10k+ if there is no plumbing on the floor.

Assuming its feasible, to properly add a bathroom to your attic, you are looking at a starting price of $10K.  That could easily be a lot higher depending on variables such as product selection, level of difficulty, time constraints and so on.  That should at least give you a pretty good starting point.  Hope that helps...