Profile picture for Crubio

Adding dining room

Will adding a dining room increase home value? 

• May 12 2008 - US
  • 1

Chances are very high that the costs of adding a dining room would be higher than the increase in house value.

Of course, we know nothing about your house.

Profile picture for chromal

You know, this question has me thinking about houses, lifestyle, and fashionability, and how these have changed. It used to be that a formal dining room was the standard, a homemaker (or staff!) slaving away to prepare a multi-course meal to be formally served at the dining table.

I can't help but wonder if the dining room is increasingly an anachronism. But, then, I don't have a family, just a roommate. But even with families, how many still line up around the table and eat meals, vs sitting with their food in front of the computer or TV. Do people still have time to synchronize their daily schedules around a formal dinner, save on special occasions such as holidays?

Has the dining room gone the way of the parlour and sitting room?

Profile picture for oranges in paris

i want my dining room [url=http://www.gemexteriors.com]remodeling IL[/url]. Pls help me.

Profile picture for oranges in paris

i want my dining room remodeling IL. Pls help me.

Profile picture for MLai

High end houses still have formal dinning, however, size of it is smaller than those in older homes.  New houses have a bigger great room (family room/kitchen/breakfast nook).  I will certainly willing to pay more for a house with formal dinning.  But just to let you know, we don't have kids and we don't eat in front of TV/computer :=)

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

I use my dining room 2-3 times a year.   I wouldnt miss it one bit  but then again our kitchen has a 10 by 10 eat in area.  

On a  small home  I would probably rather use the space for a different room i.e. other bedroom or a bigger master bath  instead of wasting the space on a room I use a few times a year.

Profile picture for Barbarellie829

My house has a formal dining room. This is my first house with one, and I LOVE IT. When we sell and move (eventually, not for another 4 years or so) I will absolutely pay more for a house that has one.

HOWEVER, that's not to say that you'll get a 100% (or even close) return on the investment of adding one on to your current home. It will most likely add some value, but how much is the question. You should price similar homes to yours in the area, and see if they have DR's...

A formal dining room is one of the frequent requested items by home buyers. Even it its rarely used, or never used..it is something that people like and want. As far as being able to have a higher asking price for the home because of the dining room..no.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

so your saying  a smaller   home with a 10x14 master bedroom, a formal dining room, and a 10x10 breakfast nook would have a higher asking price than a home with a 14x20 master bedroom with a large walk in closet and the same size  breakfast nook?

I agree with CulverCityRealtor about the D/R. I think that D/R's have an ability to lend permanence and a little more formality to a home. A home w/o a D/R is probably smaller, more casual, and it probably has that "starter home" feel.

I think that the solution to the antiquation of a D/R is to make it dual prupose. I also like to do this with Living Rooms. Make it into a library. In either case, you can have a room lined with beautiful built-in shelving and books and other objects d'art and you either put in a formal table and chairs and style it as a reading room with large-scale books on the table, or you put in a seating arrangement to make it a L/R. If you do this for a D/R, you clear off the table-scape and use it formally for the holidays or special occasions, then put the table-scape back and continue to use that room as a cozy reading or hobby room.

When a D/R acts as a library in the down-time its both useful and inviting to look at when passing through. Its not just an empty, lonely room with a table, chairs, sideboard and some art waiting to be used. It has warmth, purpose and its different than all the other D/R's in the neighborhood- and, when using a "library" as a D/R- its so cozy and homey! Done correctly, it can be gorgeous and formal, or have a casual-classy feel.

If you DO add on a D/R, get a designers input. Or plan carefully on your own. Research your furniture sizes and clearances, what you want in there as far as architectural detials, think about a focal point (ceiling, possibly architectural windows, etc.). Then build. Dont come up with a random room size or just let the contractor decide whats going to happen. Fill it with purpose and intent. And be sure to integrate the addition from the outside so it doesnt look like, well, an addition! Be mindful of the architecture.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

Profile picture for Coconutcream

JMO, I wouldn't buy a home without a dining room. I also wouldn't buy a home without a formal living room either - and those mini rooms they put in new homes don't count as one, imo. My home isn't large (1600 sq feet not counting finished basement) and I have living room and dining room and a family room which opens off the kitchen and dining room.

Profile picture for BtrL8ThnNvr

Our house has a dining room and I love it.  We don't eat there every evening, but when we have company we eat there.  Or when we have birthday parties, that is where the pizza is. LOL  My 5 year old eats all of his meals there because he is not so steady that he won't spill or get crumbs everywhere.  If I am eating dinner at the same time he is, I eat there with him too.  We don't have an eat in kitchen though.  My bf and I usually eat in the living room with TV trays.  How white trash is that?!