Profile picture for rvezirian

Advice for Hiring a Realtor for a Wide Search Area

I'm hoping a few Realtor pros frequent this area of this site and can send a little guidance my way. My question might be a little strange but I would appreciate any constructive advice. Without going into too much detail, if an individual wanted assistance finding an amazing residence and that house could be anywhere, how would you advise them to proceed?

Getting off the starting line has been more challenging than I would have thought. I currently live in the northeast but the weather here has left me frustrated to say the least. I'm considering buying another house in another area that is more conducive to outdoor living and that can improve my lifestyle. I do not have an area in mind. I want to find an amazing place that is conducive to an amazing lifestyle. It can be anywhere. If I were looking for a house in town here, it would be simple to hire a realtor. But how should I go about hiring a realtor or advisor when I'm casting such a wide net. Any advice to get me started?

August 03 2013 - US

At this stage of the game, you don't need an agent.   

Start doing your homework.   Identify some areas where the weather might be your dream weather.  No one in the world can tell you your definition of "amazing weather" or "amazing lifestyle".   For some that would be a tiny cabin at the foot of a mountain surrounded by rain forest, for the next it may be a desert, and a third prefers the hustle and bustle of being in the middle of a metro down town.

Agents aren't tour guides or the chamber of commerce. Sellers don't want random tours of their homes (except perhaps for open houses).

Narrow your dreams to a better definition of amazing and find the appropriate professionals at the appropriate time.  Today is not the right time for any professional except a travel agent.

Profile picture for rvezirian
[removed by Zillow Moderator]

Thank fully we live in the age of the Internet.(in the good old days we had to drive all over the country or throw a dart)  I would suggest narrowing your search by weather ( your definition of amazing weather ) look at various sites such as City-data.com , then search real estate sites for those towns that fit your weather desires and your BUDGET.  Santa Barbara, Ca has the most moderate weather in Ca, but has the highest median home price too which knocks out most of us non rock stars.

Then decide do you want city or country life?  Do you need easy access to medical care, schools, jobs  and so on.

Once you have a 2-3 places picked out on the map, physically go there for a week or more and see how you like it.  When you have decided on an area, then find an agent.  Even better rent for awhile so you can get to know the place really well.

Thanks Teri A-M for chiming in. 

"I'm considering buying another house in another area that is more conducive to outdoor living."
 If  you want outdoor living year round, Hawaii is a good place to consider. California also has amazing weather and miles of beaches to boot.
How to find out more about these areas? There is only one way and that is to spend time there yourself. Not a few days, I think a month or so to get a feel for each area. There are also many other areas that are lovely and temperate in climate and conducive to outdoor activities and I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

Best of Luck to you.

area wide search that is not limited to a sill 20 mile or so would help i just had a nervious break down not 5 minuts ago becouse i can not use thesse seaches to small searches .. draw  a circule or 2 or 3 on a map click search with advanced would be  smart

Hire more than one.

How much does a Home Inspection cost?
Profile picture for Mike Opyd
Latest reply by Mike Opyd
1 day ago | 16 answers
Can the seller keep the earnest money after inspection?
Profile picture for zuser20140628062544588
Latest reply by zuser20140628062544588
4 unit Multi family house
Profile picture for moneyclip8565
Latest reply by moneyclip8565
Pre-approval good for FHA or Conventional?
Profile picture for Rick Phillips
Latest reply by Rick Phillips
Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Latest reply by user4130081