Profile picture for rjc214

Advice on buying a bankruptcy property

My husband's family collectively owns a large parcel of land in upstate South Carolina, and the majority of it is currently involved in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case.  We would like to purchase one of the homes on the land from the bankruptcy estate.  Ideally, we would like to arrange a private sale with the bankruptcy trustee before it goes to public auction, which I know sometimes happens, but not always possible.  I am just having a devil of a time finding someone who knows what they're doing to help me figure all of this out.  I've called two real estate attorneys, two real estate agents, and a mortgage broker to try to find information and get professional help and opinions, and no one seems to be very interested.  It's funny, I thought this was a commission business, and aren't we still supposed to be in hard times?  I have a checkbook, and I'd love to pay someone to help! :)

So... if anyone has any information or could point me in the direction of someone who should be able to help, that would be immensely appreciated.  I've purposely left the details kind of vague, as I'm not sure what I'm allowed or not allowed to say.  If you're a buyer's agent in upstate South Carolina with experience in distressed properties... please let me know!

Thank you!

March 29 2011 - Anderson