Profile picture for garypat

Aerial views switched to older low resolution . What happened?

Aerial views switched to 6 + year old  low resolution mode. They are showing a empty lot where a 6 year old house I'm thinking of buying is. What happened? They used to be up to date.

Gary

June 20 2011 - La Pine

It was higher res, it switched to low res. wonder why

Profile picture for garypat
"On the other hand, maybe Pictometry International got tired of giving away all their good images, thus maybe decided to only give MicroSoft medium resolution images so that people will go to Pictometry International to buy better images?"

Maybe

Try this link from the United States Geological Survey (government images in the public domain):

USGS.gov Earthexplorer

It seems to do pretty good when typing in an address, but for some reason it seems to be necessary after it is found to move the mouse to the map to get it to zoom in.

The images for my area are at least within the past 6 months.
Interesting though; it is using a Goggle Satellite image for the display.

They offer several products for the area; some for sale, some for free download.  The DOQ images for my area seem to have dates of 5/31/94 and 6/6/02

Again, Zillow only references images from Bing and Google...

If you want to know when it is coming back, you have to ask people at Bing.

There were a few higher resolution images I had seen of U.S. military bases in South America too that are now gone that I should have archived at the time of seeing them as well.

From Pictometry International's website; it appears that they have substantially upgraded some of their commercial satellite equipment and cameras, so, since Bing seems to have a contract with them of some kind, I suspect we will eventually see better images.

On the other hand, maybe Pictometry International got tired of giving away all their good images, thus maybe decided to only give MicroSoft medium resolution images so that people will go to Pictometry International to buy better images?

You stated that the birds eye views were pretty good.  Did you click on the "aerial" button above the image when in that mode?  (It should be the same as on Bing for Birds eye views with the "slanted" checkbox unchecked).

Profile picture for garypat
Thanks, I tried all of them, none has the resolution Zillow used to have.
I suppose they took it down for some reason. I was just trying to find out why and is it coming back or not. Guess I should have made a screen capture at the highest zoom when I had the chance. I do have a screen capture of a lower zoom that's not bad. Anyone from Zillow know if it's coming back?

The Bing birds eye is by far the best resolution of all. A few years old but great views

By the way, if I'm going to do a "copy screen to clipboard" for drawing on a satellite image, I usually will set my screen resolution to maximum first to get the best resolution and widest view I can first.

Of course, with Goggle images Google's name will be written all over it in sort of a "water mark".

Try maps.google.com

They have a different sent of images than MicroSoft Bing, taken from a different set of commercial satellites.

There also are several other sites for Satellite photos.  And for course, in addition to MicroSoft, Zillow accesses images from NASA, USGS.Gov, and the United States Department of Agriculture (usda.gov).

(The image you get using "map" and "birds eye" clicking on "aerial" should be the same, but without the property lines)

You also might try going to microsoft's website, since that is where the image you used to look at came from...

Bing.com/maps

type in the address...
click on where it says "road" above the map, go down to "birds eye view", un-check the "show angled view" box, and click on "birds eye view".  Then zoom the map in and pan to the desired location.

It "should" be able to find the view that you were looking for.

Don't forget to press the left arrow above the top left of the map to expand the image to the full screen width.

I would get both the google and the microsoft images, because you really never know which one will have the better images for any specific area.  I'm finding that Google looks a bit more high resolution for my area.

It is also possible that for your area Zillow was using Google for the aerial images for your area a while back.  about 3 years ago, Zillow was using a lot of Google images.  Now it seems to primarily be the Google street views and Google "local amenities".

Profile picture for garypat
Thanks, Pasadenan
I reloaded the page A bunch, no dice.
To further the details, the earlier hi res image that I'm referring to was not the birds eye, but a high res satellite (I believe). It was a fairly recent image , last fall. The birds eye images are still there, just this version has been taken down. Maybe there is a secret black ops area 51 base nearby. I saw a raccoon last week that didn't look quite right. Might have been a robot spy.
The house I'm buying there is supposed to close next week. I was hoping to use the image to plan the driveway approach. The satellite image now shows an empty lot. The house was started in 2006 finished in 2007.

With the update of county data, the icon location for the house may have shifted slightly.

The images are from Pictometry International Corp by way of MicroSoft Bing.  So, if you have any questions about specific images, you have to ask MicroSoft as they are not "on this website" bur referenced from MicroSoft's website.

A small shift in GeoCode often can mean an older image will show.  Actually, just reloading the page 10 times you may get a different image even if you don't shift the image center.  I know I did when looking at a burned down house.  I got "before" and "after" pictures with just a few reloading attempts, from all 4 directions.

Besides, the aerial images can never be "up to date" as it takes about 2 years for the commercial satellites to pass over the same spot of the earth again, and any images that have cloud cover are "useless" and have to be thrown out.  Not to mention, Pictometry International does not make them available the minute that the transmit the images down from the satellites.

The Federal Government has also insisted MicroSoft and Google take down some of their high resolution images for select areas due to classified military information that the government doesn't want made public for any foreigner to have access to at almost any location in the world.

Again, just shift the center slightly and reload the page.

Profile picture for garypat
it used to be higher res, last week it switched to low res. What happened?

Zillow contracts with Bing and Google maps for aerials, and different angles can be months or years apart in age....

Sorry..