Profile picture for blank screen EXILED

Agents, could you avoid asking a client what they thought about a property if requested?

If the potential client makes it exceptionally clear they don't want to discuss what they thought of a property after seeing it, but wants time to process their thoughts on their own, would you be able to "live with that" as their agent"?  Would you agree to those terms?

If the client states they will cancel the representation agreement upon the first time the agent expresses any opinions about any property, or asks for any opinions or feelings or thoughts on any property, would you be willing to represent that potential client?

Or is that a complete "deal breaker", making it "impossible" for you to do your job, as you must have that "feedback" in order to use your normal sales "process"?

If the client is the one directing what is seen or not seen, and what properties offers are made on and when, do you really need the "hot" or "cold", or "warmer", "colder" responses/feedback?

Is it your opinion that if you don't ask, the client will keep procrastinating and not offer on anything?  Is it your opinion that clients need agents to help direct their decision making process so that they will actually decide on "something"?
  • September 07 2013 - US
  • 1

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
Transactional brokers typically work both sides of the sale... I'm not interested in that, unless that was the way it was listed, which tends to not be the case if it is in the MLS with co-op commission offered for the selling agent.

Profile picture for Pam Armour
I think ii's perfectly natural for people to want to process what they've seen especially if they have seen many properties in one day. As someone else stated that each deal is unique within itself.  
Feedback is necessary eventually to make sure you're understanding what it is a client is looking for. Not communicating and saying what you think of a property-sounds like a transaction broker. Fine!
Do agents help direct their clients decisions for buying-Maybe we can be a little persuasive, but houses sell themselves in most cases as long as they meet what the buyer is looking for.

You're most welcome, Pasadenan.  Good point on my arbitrary number of 5.  Maybe 15? :) 

I'm working with a couple now who are similar; they want to buy another home, but are in no hurry and have only a dollar figure they're looking around...so a pretty vague search.  Also, on initial contact (they found me), they told me they were put off by the notion of an exclusivity agreement but stated they'd definitely use the agent that found the home to buy it.  

I'm helping them in the search.  I will do so until either the cost/benefit relationship is negative on my end or I get the sense they're just using me to see the homes and not really committed (I don't get that idea right now).

Each client is unique and the circumstances of each search different.  

Profile picture for blank screen EXILED
Thank you Rob and Debbie for the "positive feedback"...

I'm assuming most of the other 90 page views were either:
1) not agents, or
2) agents that didn't want to answer as they really don't want to post they would turn away clients.

Certainly posting on a weekend means most agents didn't see the question yet, so maybe some additional comments will come in of the thread is bumped up on the list.

The "review after 5 showings" typically doesn't work as often 5 showings would be done in one day, and I asked for minimum of 3 days after the showings to process what I saw.  Not to mention, I still may not want to tell you what I "really thought" as you would likely find it "too negative".

And in my particular present case, I am in "no hurry" to move, so I might not ask for a showing for several months, if nothing of interest is on the market.  Another complication for my present search is it is an extremely broad area, thus making it impossible to select just one agent, unless there was something of interest in their area.  But the "deal breaker" posted on the other thread assumed I was only searching in the area of interest of the agent being interviewed for a representation agreement.

Styles?  That is an extremely complex question.  Dozens of styles that are on the "acceptable" list.  Flat roof Spanish bungalow is typically not, but would be considered under some specific conditions.  The preference is 2 story with basement, but 3 or 4 story would be considered.  Trouble with 3 or 4 stories is it doesn't qualify for "owner builder" if revisions are desired.  Wood framed house is preferred.  Similar problems for "owner builder" with brick or block construction, even if reinforced.

I found one I really like, but it needs substantial work, and is quite some distance away for a casual showing, and it appears the climate zone is too cold for me.  Not to mention, the property taxes are on the high side.

I think it would make things a bit more difficult from a traditional perspective.  However, with the caveat you've described - the buyer is directing the search - I could honor the conditions.  I would need something occasionally from them, though.  Showing houses effectively "blind" from the agent's point of view is a scary prospect in terms of time/resource investment.  

Perhaps we could make a deal where every five homes, the buyer and agent sit down to discuss what's happening. 

Regarding the last question, I had a client recently who gave me a list of criteria (a wide ranging list) then said, "I'll know it when I see it!"  I discussed "styles" with them and let them know my preference was to find homes that matched their criteria, then let them walk through the house before I asked any questions or what they thought.  They liked that approach; we found their home on the 12th showing. 

It's my opinion that I would welcome as little conversation and  interaction with this kind of (peculiar) client as possible.

Yes, I could keep mum........and if it doesn't seem to be progressing after a reasonable amount of time spent together, wish them well and send them on their way into the loving arms of another agent.