Am I responsible for assessments if my HOA forgot to disclose them to my title company?

I purchased my condo about a month ago, and just received a notice from my HOA that I have to pay a special assessment from June (for earthquake insurance).  I called my title company, and they checked and said that the HOA had never disclosed it.  After checking with the HOA, they said that had forgotten to add it.  

October 04 2013 - Seattle

You should have been provided a resale certificate after your offer got accepted.  Did you get a chance to review that to see if the special assessments were mentioned in there?  

Depending on how your Purchase & Sale Agreement is written, there is a line item that specifically refers to how charges/assessments due after closing are to be handled.  

Your buyer's agent should be able to help you address this issue as well.

Unfortunately you are still responsible for the assessment.  However, I would recommend calling the HOA again and ask if they will give you some kind of break because of their mistake.  Good Luck!

At the end of the day, you are responsible to pay irrespective of who is at fault!! What you can do and it might be a futile exercise is go after the HOA management, since they did not fully disclose all pertinent facts. Or at the least get a couple months of dues from them!!?? Good Luck! 

Yes, I think you are.

To turn things around, if a new buyer comes into the HOA and isn't informed of the special assessment, do you and the other owners want to pick up their share?

It's real, and it's a benefit. I think you should pay it.

It sounds like the fault is on the part of the HOA - it is their responsibility to inform the purchaser of how much your fees are, if there are any assessments or even if there is any pending litigation.

Depending on how much the assessment is, it could be a big deal that they failed to disclose this information.  You should go after the HOA and, at minimum, get an explanation.  However, failing to pay is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face - it's still your HOA and not some anonymous 3rd party attempting to collect fees.

Talk to the title agent that closed the file and discuss with them. It's possible the HOA is out of luck for their mistake.