Profile picture for Krashoverride95

Amending my 2009 taxes to receive the Home buyer credit in 2010

I have already filed and received my 2009 tax return, I am getting ready to close on buying my first home.  Can I file an amendment to my 2009 return to receive the First Time Home Buyer credit although I have already received my return.  I would rather not wait until I file my 2010 taxes next year, as I am planning on paying off some of my other debt with the home buyer credit... Thanks in advance!

May 21 2010 - Indianapolis

Profile picture for vr6land
As others have said you will need to file Form 1040X and Form 5405 along with your originally filed Form 1040 .  You will also need to attach your signed settlement statement and binding sales contract if your purchase was after 04/30/2010.

The government is going over these amended tax returns with a fine tooth comb.  Many of my clients have had to wait 3 -4 months to receive their refunds and that is without having to send additional information to the IRS. So as it is it is better to send too much paper work than not enough, if you are unsure if you need to attach a form just send it anyways.  

Don't expect your refund in 2 weeks because it's just not going to happen.  I have clients in dire straights because they purchased their home relying on the $8,000.

Profile picture for jlbs6300
Yes you can amend your return.  I am an accountant for Davidson & Nick CPAs. [link removed by moderator]. I can definitly help you and anybody else that needs help with this filing.  Please contact me at [contact info removed by moderator]. It doen't matter what state you live in we can file your return for you.

Jennifer Stampfli

Profile picture for falsedawn
You need to file forms 1040X and 5405. They cannot be filed electronically, but must be posted to the given address.

IRS Site

Profile picture for ChandaB
Yes, you can file an amendment to your tax return.  If interested, send me a contact request and I'll send you a link to the blog post I wrote which contains information and links related to the tax credit and how to claim it...

Hope this helps.