Any advice about Renting? Basic or detailed?

I'm currently working into the real estate world and developing my knowledge and skills with real estate. For this question, I am looking for things dealing with renting whether that be the start up process and the certain forms that are needed to be disclosed, or even where to find a renter.

Thank you very much for those who are answering!
  • February 13 2012 - Tampa
  • 0

I handle a few rentals and we have an attorney who draws up the leases for $35.00.  We provide pertinent information and they take it from there.  You can charge this to your owner or the person who is leasing.  We also do a background and credit check on each adult over 18 living in the property.  Here its $35 a person and the person who is renting takes care of that.  Make sure you know what the owner will allow and what they don't want i.e. pets, smokers, etc.  Be sure and do a thorough walk through with the tenants before occupancy.  I would even take pictures to put in the file.  One other thing I do is take pictures 3 months or 6 months into the rental to make sure everything is being taken care of and that they are not doing anything they weren't suppose to do.  Have this in the lease agreement.  This will keep them on their toes.  I've seen too many horror stories with renters that didn't do this.

Profile picture for RemaxBetty
Actually, the best "safest" website is to post on vflyer.com they will send it oout to 20 websites...you can also list on rentals.com or rentalhousesplus.com  They are more expensive to post on than vflyer.com

Do a google search for your area and see where the strongest following is coming from.  Craigslist is free and we get the many renters from there, but it is also the biggest hassle due to the scammers...that steal your ads.

Also start your own website and promote on google.com. 

Betty Simmons
Rental Home KC

In our area, Craigslist seems to be the best place to find renters.  If you are an agent, I would talk with your broker to see which forms and leases you need to fill out.  Also, I would check with your local county on landlord-tenant rights (e.g., the process to evict if you have to).