Profile picture for SellMeOnYou

Any agents out there building webpages to market homes rather than just a sign, newspaper and fliers

• July 08 2009 - Cornelius
  • 0

Profile picture for Home Realtor SEO
I have exact data on how many sellers are using websites and those statistics for online success. [Promotion and hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.] or any questions you have about search advertising in general.

JoEllen, would you at least read through the posts before you reply? You'd notice you already did reply to this one. In April. Back when it was only slightly less than 2 years old.

Yes many are and it easy to do also...why not find some web site with properties you like then contact those agents that have the site and listing...best o fluck

@ Mike...

Semi-success?

On a more practical note, 2.5 years after the fact...

As a consumer, I'm more likely to hit a website that consolidates listings for an area vice a specific REA or brokerage. Also, there is something in my consumer psyche that rebels at the thought of being channeled to a REA or brokerage site - at least, until I know they have exactly what I'm looking for.

Much better would be a community that would be willing to host listings in concert with a "about this community" site. One that included information on schools, jobs, fire/police, area attractions, etc. A "this is a great place to live" first, with the "and here's a few options" second.

I don't think there are many agent websites out there actively promoting their client's listings in an effective way.  And by effecting I mean a way that will increase the odds of getting the home sold.  Many agent websites only promote the agent or company and allow the public to search for homes that are currently for sale.  Their listings are buried deep somewhere in their website if they are on it at all.

I believe that there are two reasons for this.  One, there are many agents out their with only a few listings or no listings.  So why would an agent promote their listings on their website when they only have one or two to promote?  It could potentially make the agent look as if they are not selling very many homes.  Therefore, I think many agents choose not to promote their listings in this manner.  Secondly, this would require an agent to actively keep up with their listings on their websites.  This means uploading pictures, staying current on the price, removing old listings, and making other changes.  For many agents this is too time consuming or too technical to do it themselves. 

If you're opinion is like mine, in that an agent should actively promote their listings on their websites then you should find an agent who does this.  Ask this question when you're interviewing agents to list with.  Make them show you how they promote their listings on their website.  Do they take good pictures?  Are their listings featured on the home page of their website?  Do they offer virtual tours?  All very important questions to ask. 

I'm going to revive this posting in about a year in the hope that Sharon Lewis will respond a third time.

Profile picture for Dunes....
No slight intended just curious if I wasn't missing something or being unreasonable in my previous reply....Sometimes the printed message seems harsher than intended (As if you didn't know that by now ;)

Plus I am pretty harsh/blunt sometimes (?) so it's often hard to tell if I'm curious, sarcastic or ger ger yaya gergering lol..it's part of my mystique ;)

You're 100% right Dunes. The post date and your reply was plain as day and I missed them both. I think I just keyed on Sharon and John's answer and felt that more information might be useful. My bad.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Sunnyview

Perhaps I'm being a grump but I really do not get it....
This 2 year old question of..Are Agents using more than signs just needed more feedback?I

No one else asks this question? No new questions?

Why?..What justification is there for digging this up?..What possible reason is there for helping keep it alive?

Websites are good, but good photos are even more important. Agents have a lot of outlets to advertise your home, but more is not necessarily better especially if your photos are marginal.

Make sure any agent you hire will make your house look great in the pictures so that every listing from Realtor.com to Zillow.com and everywhere in between shows your home to it's best advantage.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Well SellMeOnYou...posted July 2009

Has your question been dug up and used to spam/responded to enough times in 2 years..

Still need to be told Yeah ..Yeah many do?

Most agents who work full time have webpages. Just talk to the individual agent to see what they offer.

I can build a website for your home! I built my own site -  [website deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines.]

Many, many agents are doing that.....

Yes, many...just ask them or find home websites and call the agent who has the listing...asking for referrals is always the  best way to go in my opinion.  best of luck

The times have changed. Most of the buyers check out the market and house online and then call the Realtor to schedule the appointment. Paper advertisement is out of fashion. No newspaper or magazine ads. There many innovative ideas floating around. I use large number of photos to market me listings. I try to show all the features in pictures. Have a business page on Facebook. Use Zillow and Trulia to publish the listing and make movies and put on Youtube and use that link for every ad on the internet. Online marketing is the way to go.

Here in Seattle, (Microsoft Territory) it is vital to put listings online! My listing each get their own web address with details and photos. I also use Facebook, Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com and many more web sites.

Ask the agents you interview how they plan to market your property. Everyone does things a bit different.

Absolutely. 98% of buyers use the internet to find a home in Cornelius.
In fact most buyers will spend 2 or 3 months on the internet before they contact an agent.They are looking for virtual tours,pictures and lifestyle descriptions.Our web site [Link removed by Zillow Moderator] targets Cornelius and also integrates the social media in our web site.
We also use zillow,truilia,facebook and linkedin.

Absolutely. There are two parts to building an internet presence .The frist is c content. People searching on the web are looking for tours, pictures and information on lifestyle.The 2cd part is positioning. Can have the best web site in the world but if it is on pagee 99 no one is going to see it. Niche marketing which we do for Cornelius with a web master that oversees our positioning and our search engine optimization allows us to obtain both of those objectives.

As a mortgage broker, it is a service that I provide to Realtors and agents that do not have the knowledge.  It's a great idea.

Yes...I find using a company that has everything done and stays current is best or do it yourself if you have the skills or know someone.  I use a friend that is a great programmer but getting his time is always a challenge and would recommend getting a paid person...hehe.

Dear Cornelius,

I'm with you on cross marketing on the web.  Selling a home at present should include a combination of the older style print ads/newsletters coupled with a very strong presence on the internet.  I say this because 25% of people statistically still are not preforming searches online for real estate.

Today, I list the properties I'm marketing on Covenant Realty's featured properties home page.  Though this is a good thing to do, listing your home in our Multiple Listing Service tool for other agents is the most important step an agent can take.  After that, I would encourage you to use an agent who has access to listing your home on all the major websites.  I can market my properties effortlessly to over 35 of the most popular listing search sites including sites like Realtor.com and Zillow. This is called syndication and it is necessary in the present day and age.

Lastly, since I'm a Texas Realtor you know I have no direct commercial interest in responding to your mesage.  I would encourage you to use a younger agent for two reasons.  1. They are probably more in touch with technology and how it can serve their clients.  2. They have more time to specifically focus on marketing of your home in comparison to an agent with many listings. Borrowing an internet term, think of a good Realtor as a spam filter for you.  As I've stated in another post, it's my job to sift through the unqualified buyers, so you only see legitmate offers. Your'e time is not wasted on what you pay a good agent to do.

You are asking the right question here.  Good luck! 

Ryan Kirkpatrick

[content removed by moderator for being self promotional]

I only recommend a domain specific website for a property if it is being marketed as Luxury or Exclusive.  In most cases it will not bring in any additional traffic, but it can provide unlimited possibilities for a great presentation and an easy to remember location to be used in marketing materials.