Profile picture for 19748

Any sellers ever just remove the carpet

May be selling an inherited home in IF.  Anyone know of sellers who have just removed the dated carpets and shown the house with bare floors? It would give the new owner the option of putting in wood or their choice of carpet without wasting a brand new carpet.
  • October 19 2013 - Idaho Falls
  • 0

Best Answer

Even if the carpet is lime green shag - as long as it is not a trip and fall hazard - leave it.  Plywood floors make the house feel like a foreclosure.

The flooring will be an obstacle.  Get a quote from a local carpet company (big box stores are usually higher) for a decent grade with padding installed.  Just take the room measurements yourself - the store can figure the square footage.

Have a local real estate agent give you an CMA so you have an idea of what you will realize from a sale.  See if you can swing offering to install carpet - buyers choice of color.

The store will probably be able to give you some color samples you can leave on the kitchen counter with an explanation that you will provide carpeting.  Offer the home for sale with new carpeting (if possible) and arrange to pre-pay the flooring company at closing.

The majority of buyers in the market today are between 25-40 and very picky.  As a rule they do not have vision.  They also do not want to do anything including paint.  If a room is purple - they can't see beyond it.  They simply want to move their furniture in and close the door.

The carpet will be a turn off to overcome.  If you offer a solution that should help mitigate the flaw.

User1883408  LOL how did I know it was Lime Green Shag?  I got your vibes.  As soon as I read your post I saw lime green shag.  Honest.

Don't pull it up.  Joseph also agreed with me about feeling like a foreclosure.  As soon as you walk in the whole place echos and feels cold and barren.

Do have a real estate agent give you some pointers.

I looked at 110K home where the carpet was removed and it did make it look like a foreclosure so I agree with the sisters.
Some lenders wouldn't allow that to pass either, there has to be
something there as a finish floor.
-Joseph-

I wish that I could see the entire house/project to make this call. I help my sellers stage their homes as their Realtor and carpeting is often a big decison in the home sale equation.

FIRST:What is the conditon of the house as a whole, and how does it relate to the carpeting?
SECOND: Are there other more pressing issues to be dealt with such as safety items?
THIRD: What is the extent of the carpet issue? are there several rooms or just one room? What is the carpet install price?
FORTH: What is the market value, and does it make sense to replace the carpets? There's a big difference between a $200,000 home and a $1,000,000 home.
FIFTH: How much carpeting? 1 room or 10 rooms? And what color, colors, texture, price per square foot etc., etc.

My conclusion is that you need to have a professional Real Estate agent who has good instincts, and a good eye, come into your home and assess the situation.

Best of luck for a successful sale!
Laura McKenna

Sounds attractive!  Perhaps someone is looking to purchase retro.... it's hard to find good lime green shag these days.  If the old composite tile is still entire, that carpet can go.

Profile picture for 19748
I don't know how The Sisters knew, but the living room/bedrooms are, in fact, lime green shag on plywood.  The downstairs rec room/stairs have red and black shag over old composite tile (my father called it "early Chicken Ranch").

Thanks for your input everyone. When I know for certain if the house is going to be sold I will get some samples and replace or clean the old.

Profile picture for Laura Papritz
Unless the carpet is in really bad shape I wouldn't advise you to remove it.  For some buyers their lender will require some sort of flooring (not the exposed sub floor) to be in the home.  See if you can find a great carpet cleaner -- unless there are gaping holes in the carpet.  If that's the case and the carpet is toast I would find an inexpensive neutral colored carpet to replace it with.

I would say that you should keep the carpet in, but make it something that you can offer to do for the buyer with an accepted offer. You could offer a allowance for new carpets also.

If you had hardwood under the floor, even in poor condition, then I'd say "go for it".   However, if it is just chipboard, plywood etc (not a real floor).  I'd recommend getting the dated carpet meticulously clean and leave it in the house.