Profile picture for realestatemonster

Anyone have experience of advice on house swaps or purchase options?

Here's the situation...
I've found a home I realy want to buy but I haven't even listed my house yet. In fact, I didn't even think I wanted to sell my house until I found this other house. The problem is that another buyer just bought the house I wanted, after 1 year on the market. The purchase just closed.

I was considering trying one of two ideas...
1) Calling the buyer (if I can track him down through the agent) and offering to swap my current house for the new house that he just bought. My house is worth more than he just paid for the other house, so this would be a good economic deal for him though it's a little weird.
2) Even weirder, what if I offered the buyer $10,000 for a 90 day option to buy the house he just bought for $30,000 more than he paid for it. Worst case, he makes $10K and moves in 90 days from now. Best case, he is $40K richer in 3 months, but doesn't get the house he had originally bought.

Am I nuts?
  • December 31 2008 - Seattle
  • 0