Profile picture for doralgate

Anyone have experience with kitchen cabinet refacing?

Would like to know how happy you were with the outcome and how long it took and and if you think it was worth the cost...

Thanks...
  • August 21 2012 - US
  • 0

I can't directly answer your question, but I would like to offer you some food for thought.

As a kitchen designer, I haven't found "refacing" as a good option for very many clients. It costs more than most people would think and often imposes to many limitations in direct opposition of what the homeowner is trying to achieve. With that said, if you want to try it...
 You can order almost any finish and/or doorstyle from Rockler.com. They sell everything you could need including how-to-guides and matching, self adhesive, wood veneers for covering the exposed sides of your cabinets and "refacing" your cabinet frames. Their vendor is Quality doors... Lowes also sells this product thru their kitchen departments, as does Home Depot (I think). I'm pretty sure Rocklers pricing will be better, you might feel better about ordering it from one of the big box stores, since (as almost everyone knows) the homes centers will take back almost anything, especially if you scream loud enough...
 As i mentioned above, refacing does have many drawbacks and I'd strongly encourage you to think about these factors before moving ahead with refacing:1) You are pretty much locking yourself into the existing layout.2) More often than not, the cabinetry that is being refaced is "builder grade", which is akin to putting a new paint job on a 20 year old car.3) A major percentage of the cost of new cabinets is the doors and drawer fronts (the pretty parts), which is what you are buying when you reface. At least look into the costs of new cabinets before putting out several thousand dollars or more for new doors to go on old cabinets.4) Refacing is usually a do-it-yourself only type of project, and if you can afford to pay someone to do it for you, you are much closer to being able to afford the whole new kitchen than you might think.

I have seen a limited few project where the limitations didn't apply, and those have turned out pretty nice.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.
Thomas Richard
TRS Designs

Profile picture for Gail Wyatt
Did it on a flipper and the cost was real low and it workout well for the new owners.  I think today they have even better ways of doing it that would be well worth the cost.