Anyone here getting any business from Zillow? I'm getting less than 1 prospect a week. It's pathetic

I want to generate more leads.  Help.

December 18 2011 - Castro Valley

1 lead a week is good! work on your conversion rate...try a personal phone call back to the lead as soon as it comes in (within 15 mins). They usually respond to a voice better than an email!

It's been working wonderful for me!!!!

ok this isn't what you asked for
however, it is still worth reading
see this

most of the people that you get as leads didn't go check out your activity on your profile (which I think is unfortunate that they dont). 
but some do.

having contributions does help.  I  go in spurts of very few contributions, when I am on more posting, I get more leads.  I've closed maybe 15 last year from zillow and have referred 5 or 6 to others for closing.  it's not what you could live on as your only advertising, but if you work it, it does work for you.

Myself...I am dropping this advertising for a variety of reasons but it's still effective.  It is less effective than it was a year ago, in my opinion.  but it is still effective.  I am simply choosing to do other things.   My last day as a Premier agent will be Jan 6 and I have a good zip code that will likely be fought over!!! 

the key is...don't post just to post.   go read Wetdawgs link if you didn't already...looks like you did.  Also, Dan the country hick has a good thread about what to do, not to do.   if I can find it again I'll come back and post a link here.

Certainly being 221st in the directory on a "contributions" sort doesn't help.  Even being 11'th in the directory on a "weighted average" sort doesn't help.

And being 95th in the directory with an "average ratings" sort doesn't help either.

One could buy a "featured" ad to move up on the directory and be seen more.

But as already mentioned, with the dark glasses looking like a pretend movie star or rock-star or drug addict or organized crime member, more "visibility" could be counter productive, especially with the rose on the shirt with no coat, and blurry condos in the background.  You have to change the picture.  You don't even need a picture of "you", but you don't want to be giving counter productive messages subliminally though your photos.

Zip codes need to be added to your profile service area.  This helps with the directory searches as well as sort ranking in the directory.

But remember, not all service areas are "equal" when it comes to page views.  Castro Valley only indicates 646 homes sold in the past 12 months (local info pages).  413 homes indicated for sale on Zillow presently in Castro Valley.  One that has been on Zillow for about 1.5 years indicates about 2000 page views.

I have over 94 thousand page views on my home details page on Zillow presently; but that was due to a non-repeatable fluke.  (Zillow used to offer the "most views" homes list, and mine was no where near the top.  That feature has since been discontinued).  Trying to help a seller in another part of the country get more page views made it very clear that not all market areas are "equal" in terms of potential buyers and sellers using electronic media and specifically this site.

And really, it is not hard to get a "local expert" status either; all you need is about 100 contributions to threads (and listings) for a designated area, such as Castro Valley.  (Photos count extra). You will note that many of those ahead of you in the directory sorts do have their local expert for Casto Valley.

I have noticed several posts from disillusioned Agents about the poor results from Zillow. I wonder if it's because the numbers of Unique Users has dropped by 10% since the August high of 25 million with the IPO frenzy. Maybe the zestimate BS just puts people off and the only people looking are frustrated at the inaccurate valuations on their homes. Maybe that's why Zillow refuses to correct zestimates as they know they would lose millions more users each month if they did so.

I have been advertising here for 13 months and have gotten many leads, most just looking, but leads none the less. I have one under contract from it and I got two listings to date from the advertisement.

Run with what you've been given so far, then come back for fine tuning.

Yup, showing a professional image is indeed work.    Keep thinking of your potential clients and ask yourself what might make you stand out to them. 

Hi All,
Just a quick response:

WETDAWGS - your going to make me work.  If you have anymore suggestions I would listen to it.

SHAWN - paying for service.  I took into account the holiday season.  Maybe it is that slow.

NATASHA - 'll check your profile later and compare with mine.  Thanks for the comment.

CLAY - adapt or die.  Thanks.

MERCEDES - how long before you got a transaction?  How long you with Zillow?  Thanks.

CONNIE - thanks for reminding me about the zip codes.

SOCAL - thanks.

Are you paying for increased service or are you only using the free service?

I'm paying for increased service...and while my phone isnt ringing off the hook with leads, we are in the holiday season.

I get a lot of leads and only a couple transactions done. I have a zip code with moderate priced home, but there is one complex that has a high investors ratio and won't qualify for any loans, except cash. Units in that building are $80,000-$100,000.It's the lowest prices in the area. So, most of the leads are related to those listings. And it's usually people who don't have a lot of money and they have only 3.5% for a downpaymet. It takes a LONG time to educate them on the specifics of that area and build the trust. Usually it's a first time buyer, who doesn't know much about the process and doesn't trust realtors as well. BUT saying all of that Zillow gave more transactions than any other  lead generating website.

Great constructive criticism and smart on your part to listen and adapt.  

Hi Mac:   Thanks for saying thanks.    I was hoping that would be your response.

Yes.  It does work great. I'm very happy with Zillow and my rep.
In less than four months I have gotten about 500 hits and many are very serious prospective buyers and sellers. It takes time to built the trust and acceptance of the public.
They see so many agents come and go and it is up to us  to earn their business.This will be done only through diligency , honesty and truth.

Wow.  I'm overwhelmed by the 3 responses I got.  This really gives me a better handle on what I need to do to improve my Zillow profile.  Thanks.

I didn't look at your profile because I am reading this by phone today. So if this doesn't apply then just ignore me. But zip codes are the key to being found I searches. You need to have zip codes in your profile for service area. Not names of towns. Put in every zip code that you will work. I have received over 550 contacts in a year so trust me on that Many contacts are confused people asking about a house that is not listed. It still. It's a high number. Look over my profile if you wish I don't do anything all that special. I hate marketing tactics. I could probably get more contacts if I fit the mold better but I don't and that's ok with me Good luck

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Long as another consumer has already broken the ice...

When I look at your profile, I see a total of three (3) contributions in over 12 months, and one of those was a photo. Of the two posted contributions, one is to complain about not getting traffic/leads from Zillow, and the other is a throw-away.

There are no posts to indicate what you think, or how. No posts demonstrating your understanding of RE issues, etc.

Other consumers on Zillow may not research your posts to see what kind of advice you give and expertise you demonstrate - but they might. Add this to Wetdawgs comments and the bottom line is your Zillow presence is currently not much better than a simple listing in the yellow pages.

Let's imagine that I (a plain ol' consumer) were looking for an agent in your area.   Breath deeply and think openly.

I put in "Castro Valley, CA" for a professional search for a listing agent.   I come up with several pages of agents and look at their photos.    Much as I hate to say it (as I'm a dawg), the photos do carry some weight.  Sunglasses?  Not a good idea.   High contrast shadows.  Not a good idea.   It doesn't have to be taken by a professional photographer, but it does need to have some openness. 

Next I scroll down to their profile to read what they say about themselves.  What do you offer?  Pretty generic and boring.  What is special about you that might make a client interested?  (Read a whole bunch of profiles before  you answer that question.)

Then I see that he has one listing.   Hmmm, why do all his colleagues have several listings?  He might be a great agent and sell them in a couple of days.   That would be great.   So, I might as well see what he does in his advertising so I click on that one listing.   What do I find?   The description tells me why the house is available (buyer bailed) but that isn't what i'm interested in.  What is interesting to a purchaser about the house?    Then, I look at the one photo of a cluttered living room.  The photo highlights the worn furniture, I don't have a clue what the room is like.      One photo is a bit strange, perhaps the virtual tour will help.   So, I click on the virtual tour?  Holey smokes - it is the same photo.  That isn't a virtual tour.

And then I move on.  He hasn't presented himself in a way that gives me any confidence that he might be the guy for selling my house.  

Do you have a clue now?

If not, may I suggest this link.