Profile picture for kalexi01

Anyone know anything about Market Place Homes...they rent your home for 6 years and you build new?

They guarantee rent for 6 years and you have to be approved and build a new home -- ground up.  It has to be from one of their building companies.  In MI they use Lombardo builders which is a reputable company.  Just curious as to if anyone has used them -- good? bad?
  • January 20 2012 - Clinton Township
  • 1

Billy,

Thanks for all the kind words!  I'm really happy that you have had a great experience.

Mike
  • May 28

Billy,

Thanks so much for the kind comments! How awesome that you were able to get a free basement! We're so happy that you're happy! :)
  • May 27

Profile picture for billglynn777
We have worked/been with MPH going on three years now - not one bad thing to say about the process.  Those that say working with MPH dries up builder adds...well we got a finished basement from Drees to boot!  You can never please 100% of the people 100% of the time.  That said, keep that in mind when reading the comments here.  Satisfied customers rarely seek out message boards to post positive comments - disgruntled customers almost always do.  I would guess if you polled all of MPH customers you would find the below bad comments not to be the norm.

Couldn't be happier!

Regards,

Bill Glynn
  • May 27

[Promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]
  • May 25

[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]
  • May 23

Profile picture for i love apple pie
It has been over 6 weeks since we first talked to someone named Justin.  Told him our situation, he said he would be doing a  market analysis of our  home and that's the last we've heard of him.  I called the company and the girl said he was still waiting for comps.  After having spent 26 years in Real Estate....I know it doesn't take that long, that is unless they are not licensed in my state, which is right next to the state their home officeis in.  Checked out the "office" address and google maps showed a single family home.  What gives Marketplace Homes??  Got your information through DR Horton Homes in ELgin IL.
  • May 23

It's May 1st and 10 minutes after your post. I'm right here to put a deal together, let's make it happen! Try my first name dot last name at our company dot com. Happy to help however I can.
  • May 01

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WORK WITH THEM FROM LAS VEGAS.  I AM CYNTHIA. I AM HOPING TO CLOSE IN 30 DAYS. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WORKING WITH THEM. ANY SUGGESTIONS? I DID TRY TO SPEAK WITH  Mike Kalis ON MAY 1 2015 THE Chief Executive Officer. I AM HOPING THEY WILL DO A FANTASTIC JOB SO I CAN BRAG ABOUT THEM TO EVERYONE IN LAS VEGAS. I MAY EVEN JOIN THEIR TEAM.

• May 01

Kelly,

I really appreciate your post below and I'm very happy that we found a creative solution that worked for you and you are satisfied with the results of our company.  I'm glad we ended up selling the home quickly (with the tenant in it to an investor) and closed the transaction fast to actually mitigate any future headaches.  We love being creative.  I think it was a win for everyone.  I hope that you enjoy your new home and I wish you and your family all the best in the future!  

Regards,

Mike  

• April 30

Profile picture for kelly nava001
Follow up to my post from a month ago.  After posting the very rough time I had with Market Place homes the owner, Mike Kalis reached out to me directly to discuss what had happened. He was very sincere and acknowledged what had happened in an understanding manner.  He was never rude but very nice and passionate about wanting to fix the issues.  He then made sure to put my concerns first and address those as quick as possible.  He went to great measures to rectify the situation and what we ultimately settled on was selling my house as soon as possible (as that was the end goal in the first place).  He was able to sell the house for what I owe (I walked away with next to nothing out of pocket) and he was able to do it within less than 30 days. They even allowed me to do a mail in closing so I didn't have to make the 3 hour trip to their offices. Although it was a rough start I should have elevated the issues I was having sooner as Mike was great at taking care of me. I think everyone's situation is different but they did a great job at making things right.  I am extremely satisfied with the end result.  I would not have been able to sell this home on my own without a sizable loss (especially when you add in closing costs and commissions). So I would use them again just reaching out to them differently when things were not going great. 
  • April 30

Hi Brittany,

We're so sorry for the experience. The market sure is hot, and we know that can be challenging to a renter. In your particular market,rental homes do move very quickly and often many people are looking at the same home. We received a lease this morning, and we do show that the Leasing Specialist called ASAP to let you know the property was no longer available. We're very sorry that you missed out on this opportunity and had to take a day off work. We'd love to make it up to you! We do have other properties available in the area, and we receive new homes every week! In addition, we'd like to buy you dinner for the trouble! We have your email on file, and I'll be reaching out later today to find out what your favorite restaurant is. 
  • April 06

Profile picture for brittanyfranks1227
My husband and I contacted them about a rental the day it was listed last week and were told it wasn't available to even see yet and to call again the next day. We called the following day and were told we couldn't get an appointment to see the property until the following Monday (which is today) and it would be a phone appointment at 1:30 pm. My husband left work early to go see this home and received an email at 1 pm informing us someone had leased the house over the weekend and our appointment was canceled. We were fully prepared to apply and pay all deposits asap even after reading negative reviews, giving the company the benefit of the doubt if the house was everything it appeared to be, instead our time was completely wasted and we were very obviously lied to about the availability of the home.
  • April 06

"Sunnyview - I'm not sure what your particular issue is with our company..."

I'd say that the issue is that watching the CEO of a company belittle customers that did not receive good service who come forward concerns me. No company is perfect, but a good company has the wisdom to deal with customers who are unhappy in a constructive way.

"So forgive me, but it pulls at my heart when people post comments anonymously..."

Forgive me for feeling for the people who have posted issues that they have with your company. Not every client will be satisfied. However, every client happy or unhappy deserves to be treated with basic respect even if the company disagrees with their experience. Hopefully, Marketplace Homes will choose to work toward that goal.
  • March 19

Sunnyview - I'm not sure what your particular issue is with our company, but I'm pretty sure you never worked with us.  We have 100 incredible team members that work really hard to solve tough issues daily.  I'm proud that we have an A+ BBB rating and over 6,000 clients in 20 states.  In addition, we invest millions in technology and systems to constantly improve customer experiences, like any company we are always working to improve.  Asenak posts that they looked at a home that was not up to par for them to rent.  It was a home that is owned by a person that doesn't have a lot of the resources to repaint and was priced as such.  I'm not sure who looks at an available rental they don't like and then posts that our team is lazy?  That particular agent has been on our team for over 5 years and has a very high customer satisfaction score consistently.  In addition, she is a single mom that supports her kids working here and works tirelessly.  So forgive me, but it pulls at my heart when people post comments anonymously, but specifically name our company and our team members.  If you really must rant online, rant about me, not our team that is working hard.  Or better yet, give me a call or shoot me a note and I'll do my best to solve your issue directly. Thanks!      
  • March 18

"We would also love the opportunity to find you another home that better suits your needs"

Birdies singing the same song about Marketplace Homes. I think I'd pass.

I would recommend if you have an issue with Marketplace Homes to post it here on Zillow. Although your post may not change the business practices that people have expressed concerns about, it does give you a direct contact person who obviously would like to avoid people posting complaints online.

It would be nice if that direct participation addressed the issues that have been raised about Marketplace Homes. Time will tell.
  • March 18

Asenak, please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment in your experience with Marketplace Homes. We represent thousands of owners, and while we can make recommendations to these owners, the upkeep and cleanliness of the property is ultimately up to them. Our team would very much like the opportunity speak with you personally to learn more about the situation, and the property that it took place at, so that we may further assist. We would also love the opportunity to find you another home that better suits your needs. We can be reached at [Hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.] On behalf of our entire team, we truly apologize and we do hope to hear from you.

-Elyse Sarnecky
  • March 18

Profile picture for asenak10
I am very disappointed in the real estate agent representing Marketplace Homes. Will never use again. We found a home for rent through Zillow. While the agent stayed on the phone with us during our walkthrough of the home, we discovered that no one from Marketplace, including the agent, had done a walkthrough of the home before listing it for rent. There were holes in the doors, dirt everywhere, rotting pipes leading out of the furnace & so on. She requested that I send her pictures. I did, not realizing I had made the lazy woman's job easier. She lied, stating there was a lot of interest in the home & that we had better consider renting it immediately or rent-to-own. However, she didn't realize there was a vehicle parked in the driveway that had evidently been sitting there a long time and that the water softener was broken. Marketplace Homes listed the home as having city water when in fact it was well water as evident by the rust in the toilet and shower heads. The home needed not only a good cleaning but a careful home inspection. It  clearly not move-in ready. I'm writing all this because we asked her for more listings, but she never sent them. Sharla was quite sarcastic at the end of the visit. Very poor business practice.
  • March 17

Profile picture for kelly nava001
Seriously don't do it!

You are better off going any other route to take care of your current home.  First off they leave a key to your home and provide anyone interested in the home the code to get the key.  In my case someone broke in (with the key as there were no signs of damage) and they stole/left damages in the amount of $2000+.  Market place homes assumed no reasponsibility even though they had given out the keys to anyone who had asked for it and didn't change the code between people.  And since my home was non livable they stopped paying rent until I could dish out the thousands of dollars to do the repairs.  The first year into my lease (after they gave me fair market value of my home) they dropped the rent payments by almost 15%.  A year into this situation the tenant called about needing repairs, they stated they could send someone for me to inspect the issue, which I authorized but requested no repairs be made without my consent.  Well they went ahead with the repairs and deducted it from the rent owed to me without the go ahead for me.  And after further investigation it would have been much cheaper for me to call a random construction number in the phone book and get a better price.  So the only thing I can imagine is since they get the money they don't care to take the time to price shop or they have an arrangement with the contractors they work with.  Either way its not at the benefit of the home owner.

I wish someone had told me not to get involved with them. 
  • March 16

"Marketplace Homes is the greatest idea ever!  It is run by individuals of the highest integrity..."

Sounds like pure promotion my one post friend.

If Marketplace Homes had integrity why do they have to pay people to astroturf over their bad reviews? Hmmm?

Read the 69 responses on Zillow, scamorg and other sites. Then, decide for yourself if you want to pay this company and put your house condition at significant risk. If it sounds too good to be true, it is and you are a fool if you close your eyes and jump in.
  • March 12

Profile picture for peggykalis
Marketplace Homes is the greatest idea ever!  It is run by individuals of the highest integrity and intense work ethic geared towards assisting the homeowner or home buyer towards reaching whatever goal they may have.  They assisted me in renting out my condo for nearly 7 years when I could not sell it for what I had paid.  Had an issue with plumbing once and they called me immediately after the renter alerted them and I was so happy to have someone else seek out trades person to do the repair work.  It saved me a ton of time and I just covered the cost because it is my condo.  If a renter moved, they took responsibility for seeking another renter...again a huge time saver!  Great company.  Don't be so foolish as to let one disgruntled individual sway or ruin it for you...an excellent opportunity.  Call them yourself and make your own decision! 
PK/Walled Lake
  • March 12

Profile picture for attorneyjadeedwards
I'm glad I came here. we were thinking of using marketplace homes. We heard all the advertisements. We don't have much equity in our house it's borderline but its only 15 years old and we are trying to upgrade. But I would rather just take the hit than deal with this company after reading this. I would hate to see our home destroyed by tenants that they haven't screened properly or charged properly, and the management seems to not care about customers at all based on the responses. Thanks to whoever started this thread.
  • March 08

Profile picture for tom30135
Don't do it. 

I did the 6 year rental deal with them to buy a new home 2 years ago.  They'll quote you a fair price for the first year and find a tenant that they can get their money back on.  Once that tenant's one year lease is up, they'll market the home at ridiculously reduced rates just to get a renter into it.  They do not keep the homeowner informed as to what they're doing in this process.  Read the fine print in their simple lease agreement.  They only pay you what they get for the rental less $100.00.  It says nothing about attempting to get a fair rental price for your property.  The way their math works, they could effectively rent your property for $100.00 and you'd get nothing.  

They are also very willing to let you out of the 6 year leasing program at any point the house is not occupied.  Putting substandard tenants, at incredibly reduced rental rates, into a property that they could not otherwise afford is a Marketplace Homes squeeze tactic to get you to drop the deal with them before the 6 years is up.

After the first year, do not expect to get enough out of MPH to even be close to covering a mortgage.  Two years down the road the fantastic looking deal and slick marketing dries up and marketplace is more than happy to walk away from it.

• January 26

Profile picture for sjokiel78
Thanks to all the honest posts I am going to rethink using this company. Mike please reach out to me directly if you want my business
  • January 15

Profile picture for CONSUMER REPORTS
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!

Profile picture for RobertoEstremera
 They will try to keep your hard earn money doing and deducting what ever is needed for just keep your money of the deposit. My daughter rented a home from them and now that she moved they're charging $75.00 for the directv dish installed after they that was ok to have. They also wants to charge for a window air conditioner that was never used and now they say that is broken. What a rip off company.

"I will sue you.  I have sooooo many pics...... YOU BETTER HAVE THEM OUT AT THEIR LEASE. PERIOD.... If you don't...I will bring an attorney."

Ranting on Zillow will not get them out. Suing in small claims for the maximum amount allowed and serving Market Place Homes is how you need to spend your time and energy. If you have photos, emails, written requests and proof of the nusance, YOU CAN WIN.

You do not need an attorney, just file a small claims suit directly. If this issue is long standing, Market Place Homes obviously does not want to do the right thing. 

So it's time to sue. In IL, you can sue for 10,000. That may not solve all your issues, but you can sue Market Place Homes every 60-90 days that amount would add up if they choose to keep ignoring you and your neighbors concerns. Good luck.

@nancybowden612

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. You need to use the code enforcement office and your local police force to get this under control. Having too many adults living in a house is against code in most areas/states. Find out how many people can legally live there and then call in any overages to both Marketplace Homes and to the local code officer.

If you see tenants drunk or impaired in public, call the police. Tell them they are drunk, have an open container, appear to be selling something to cars that pass while impaired or are simply menacing/harassing people driving by. Record all dates of calls and get an incident number whan you call them in. A couple arrests will make a better court case for you.

Finally, send a registered letter with return receipt to Marketplace Homes and to the owner of record (found at your assessor's office). Tell them about the issues, send them photos and demand improvement or tell them you will sue for loss of enjoyment of your property. Include dates and times of any police calls.  

Then, the next time there is a police call, disturbance or drunk in public tenant file your small claims case for $500 each incident reported up to the maximum in your state. You can win and I guarantee once you file your suit Marketplace Homes will notice. Once you file your case, do not negotiate with them before your court date. Don't let them promise "change" to withdraw the suit, tell them that they owe you money for their failure to act and you will see them in court.

Profile picture for nanashope
I'm going to see a rental tomorrow, I'm rethinking my appt!

Profile picture for nancybowden612
They take your house and turn it into Section 8 housing and rent it out as such.  So the "state" pays the rent - which means me and you are paying the rent to Market place homes.  The house next door to me is a marketplace homes rental and is now a flop house - no one knows who lives there.  I am sure the house is trashed inside with the drinking and smoking because the outside is trashed literally.  There is garbage all over the property.  Thanks a lot Marketplace homes - [Removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Profile picture for luckyme0820
MarketPlace homes is shady on the rental side as they will through in fees that you don't even know about.  The way the program works is that they will take up to 6% of a new home purchase, which dissolves any type of incentive the builder gives.  You will never meet the realtor in person to assist with the sale as they make you do all the work.  In fact you will be responsible to put up the rental sign and put the keys in the lock box that they provide.  After your first year, then comes the surprise.  They will state that they require $100 as a fee that was not in the original contract and try to use the statement that MPH has the right to make the fee whatever they want.  In addition, they give you less than 5 days to sign the contract, so it makes it difficult to consult an attorney.  My advice is to consult an attorney with any contract that you are about to sign with them or just don't do it.  You have to be able to qualify for both homes anyways and by the time you add up the % from the sale and the $100 a month fee, you are better going with a more professional property management company.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3