Profile picture for pjboy75

Anyone selling in the metro Atlanta area?

Just listed our home this week, will be the first time selling for me. I do not hear a lot of specific stories or stats regarding the metro Atlanta area, seems most of the press is focused on the west coast and florida and the industrial areas. Our market is certainly not as severe as those places, but would love to hear from a seasoned seller from this area on what I might be able to expect. (how long to sell, how far below list, etc). Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

June 19 2008 - US

Profile picture for pjboy75

No Atlanta folks here???

They are too poor to afford internet pjboy! 

I sold last Nov in Cumming.......the Atlanta metro area was ripe with corruption and so the area is taking a huge hit, albeit in certain pocket areas.   I have seen housing in Alpharetta priced well below what I saw when I went looking at homes in early 2004!   I sold my house for a huge loss!  

A friend of mine had her home on market for 1 year, she had to sell it for a certain price since she sucked the equity out, she bought in 1999......her home is up for auction since it finally foreclosed on.   Don't chase the market, price as close to your bottom line and get it moved faster, cut the competition or you will sit forever.  Granite, finished basement, tennis courts....not as important as price since people's money doesn't go as far today.  

Profile picture for marispel

I'm in Canton, GA - been here for 9 months...welcome!   My only words of advice are to go as low as you can possible stand and then lower your price more - if you want to sell fast, you have to sell low.

We started out high knowing that we had several months until we had to sell...we're still here, but we still have 3 months until we get truely desparate.

Profile picture for pjboy75

Thanks so much for your reply, I was starting to feel alone in A-town!

the home I am trying to sell is in Gwinnett, Snellville to be more specific. realtor.com just got the pics up today. if you have a moment, take a look and let me know what you think on the price. We were hoping to list at $159K and go down from there, but it was strongly suggested by the agent to go no more than $155K for list. Hope he is right. Our tax assement, which used to be so low compared to market is even higher than this list price, it is so depressing. The MLS is 3731420, in case the following link does not work. Thanks again for your time and feedback!

http://www.realtor.com/realestate/snellville-ga-30078-1100430135/

Profile picture for bennye

Nice pad and awesome price- Of course I am here in Socal where a comparable  house is still asking $400-450 esp. with the lot size.

I am in Marietta,  I have seen the sales definitely taking longer than they were and at lower prices.  I have some friends though that have put their house on the market and sold within a month.  I don't think this is the norm though.  Just luck of the draw. 

I'm here in Atown!  I live/work intown and just out of town and depending on the area, Atlanta has been hit hard.  In general, prices are down a good $30-40k if your home is under $300k.  Potentially more in the higher price ranges.  That said, there are some pockets of Atlanta that have maintained really well, are very well established, and there was not as much predatory lending activity.  Those neighborhoods, because of the lack of foreclosures in the immediate vicinity, have held out well.  Bottom line, if there are a lot of foreclosures in your area, the prices will be down and selling can be tough (appraisals even tougher).  And NOW is definitely the time, so good for you for getting it ready to roll for the Spring market!

February 19 2010
PJ -
I looked your house up and it's lovely (from the one exterior pic I can see).  The realtor.com link didn't work for me, so not sure about the inside.

Here is what I think, but please understand that my opinion is without all of the relevant current info, without seeing the condition and without seeing the interior...

I believe the $155k list price was a better choice than $159k.  I am happy to do more detailed research, but I'll need more info and pictures of the interior.  That said, how your home shows to prospective buyers will be incredibly important so please give the presentation of your home your all.  It looks like a nice, desirable home that lots of buyers would be interested in and top-notch showings will help.

I know the decline in prices is depressing - so many sellers are suffering from it.  Good luck to you!

February 20 2010

Why has no one considered a class action suit against Zillow
Latest reply by wetdawgs
Using Assist to Sell
Profile picture for Consuelo Johnson
Latest reply by Consuelo Johnson
Should a person sell the home themselves?
Profile picture for jesus morales
Latest reply by jesus morales
1 day ago | 5 answers
We Buy Houses-Just another SCAM!
Profile picture for adventur90
Latest reply by adventur90
nail holes
Latest reply by Pasadenan
July 21 | 13 answers