Appeal Your Property Taxes

Living in San Mateo County just minutes from San Francisco has been a great opportunity for those of us who purchased our homes and watched the values grow significantly over the years.  Others were not so lucky and saw smaller increases in home values, only to lose that value with the recent state of the economy and the downward trend in real estate.  Homeowners now have to face the fact that their homes are not worth as much as they once were.  Most are still paying the high property taxes based on the higher levels.  Isn't it time that San Mateo County re-evaluated those property taxes and lowered them to a more reasonable amount.  I know that other counties have done the research and lowered property taxes significantly.  We live in an affluent area and have always paid the price to be here.  It is time that homeowners complain to the local tax board and get lower property taxes.

• November 02 2008 - US
  • 0

While I can see that each individual would love to have lower taxes,  how do you propose that California come up with the money to balance the state budget if yet another source of revenue decreases?

If you are appealing your taxes in CA get ready for a fight. You better come armed with specific recently closed sales that match your house to a T or forget it. San Mateo County will fight for every dollar like every other county in CA. I was able to successfully fight my taxes about 10 years ago in Sacramento County, but I really had to do my research and back it up with honest inoformation. Most people who appealed at the same time I did lost. Being well prepared made the difference.

CA could be in big trouble if they have been spending their entire bloated base instead of keeping some restraint on spending during the boom years. It could definitely get ugly.

Didn't CA already go through a period this year of not paying their employees as they were still fighting over the budget?   Imagine the pain when the budget is smaller, and the employee number is the same.  Alas!

Profile picture for Judy West

Belmont, I'm pre-prop 13 do you think I would get anywhere if I appeal?  I don't think so and I don't mind paying the tax, I shudder to think what the degradation of service will be with the decrease in tax revenues as it is.

I'm waiting for the numbers to come in enough to fight to lower my taxes. I did consider that option if house prices lowered when I bought in April.

--But thank you for telling others that it IS an option in CA. :-)

Judy, when Davis has a tax surplus, he opened up a bunch of programs and jobs instead of returning the money to the people. Then, when he had a smaller budget, he borrowed money instead of cutting the programs and jobs. The state must live within their budget. Period. Therefore, I have no problem with cutting my property taxes. No state can survive by expanding to the max every time there's a surplus and not cutting when it's smaller. It only makes the govt bigger, and more in debt.

I worry that lowering assessed values will cause the tax rate to increase.  A couple years later when the market rebounds, it would make it even more expensive. 

In CA, the tax increases are limited to I believe 3% a year of the assessed value under Prop 13. Appealing them will not make them rise any faster there. I think the municipalities should spend within their limits. If they have been spending the massive bubble RE money, shame on them, but I would not be willing to keep supporting their spending habits.