Profile picture for camato1999

Appr values off? Says this house was last sold for $695K and has incr in value 4.2% since last sale?

If this home has increased in value 4.2% since its last sale as the chart which compares it to the town, county, state US etc says - then the estimate should be $725K not around $500K - what is the deal???  These inconsistencies worry me as I have heard banks use this site to check values - how can some of these homes be so volatile???
  • Question refers to 355 Grand St, Newburgh, NY 12550
  • 0

Profile picture for pnunes68
Green and white, taht should work better. I was wondering about that purple color. It didn't seem quite right for that house. Although, I have seen a couple of similar shingle style homes in Yonkers with a lot of purple, so I assumed it was some kind of trend. I guess it kinda appeals to some people, softens the austerity of the granite and shingles, a little whimsy maybe for an an otherwise imposing architecture.

Profile picture for camato1999

Thank you Paul.  Just FYI - this conversation has continued in the Newburgh Advice section if you are interested in seeing.  http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/conflicting-info-on-Zillow-value-appriciation-estimates/195625/

PS: We are hoping one day very soon to return the exterior color to its original palate.  I will be happy to see the purple go - hopefully you will fondly refer to the house as the green and white house instead :)

Profile picture for pnunes68
The Zillow secret formula. When you bought this house at $695k, the Zillow estimate price was much lower at that time (I remember since I was interested in this house back then). Zillow does not assume that the SELLING price is the MARKET price at that time (people do over-pay after all). Zillow does this for a very good reason. It is not uncommon for the published selling price to be too high or low compared to market price (people overpay/underpay, distressed sale, in-family sale, etc.) Zillow is programmed to not give too much weight to published sale numbers when it falls outside a range or is too far in the past.

The fact that the last selling price was higher than Zillows does skew the current price a little higher. Keep in mind that as time passes, the last sale price factors less and less in the current market price. Current comps will have a larger weight in the formula.

Newburgh is a funny real estate market. It is historically very volatile so you need to sit tight since you bought near the recent peak. I wouldn't worry too much about Zillow's pricing unless you need to refi or sell.

You have good taste in homes. I always like to drive by the purple house when I'm in town.

Paul