Are "Electronic Gopher Repellers" Effective?

Has anyone used the electronic gopher/mole repellers? If so, what was your experience?

November 14 2008 - US

Profile picture for 80smusicrox

If they were...I'd think I'd hear more about it.  We have a gopher and mole issue in my area...not to mention other pests like rattle snakes and wild hogs.

I lived near a private golf course that had a problem with gophers and moles...traps were the only solution.  Unfortunately, the traps also reduced the squirrel population.

I know someone mention cats as a solution for rats...not so, but cats are very good at catching gophers and moles.  I have 3 outdoor cats, and 4 others who hang out and eat at my house every morning (I won't claim them)...and they are catching gophers left and right.  They can hear them under ground and they lay in wait.  Even after they've just polished off a plate of 9-lives...there's always room for fresh gopher.  It's weird though...half the cats hunt for sport, and the other half hunt for food.   

The local "coyote patrol" insures that there are no "outdoor cats" in my neighborhood. For that matter, I haven't seen a single stray cat/dog in the 5 years I've lived here, so cats are not an option. I'm giving the devices a try (hey, it's only a "few bucks" and will let you all know if they actually do anything useful.

Profile picture for julia111

I am here in Oregon on high ground, and the moles and gophers made my lawn look like a post war battle field. 

I have tried zappers, smoke bombs, everything!!!!!!!!The only thing that has helped some what is the stray cat who showed up after we moved in, and the scary old fashioned traps that only my hubby can set.

Profile picture for Old House

I'm in CA and have tried everything as well. Everything does include poison, smoke bombs, and the electronic (ultra-sound) device/repeller (they are not cheap, BTW). The constant buzzing didn't annoy the gophers but drove my boyfriend insane.
The only thing that worked in my case was a gopher trap - very unpleasant, but effective. After catching four gophers, we are enjoying a break from them. I'm sure more gophers will be back after they discover my backyard is available. Meanwhile, I need to buy more traps to be prepared for next invasion...

Placed two of the devices in my back yard this weekend (just a little overkill based on product specs, but I figured I'd give them every chance to work). I'll let you all know if they do any good.

As an aside, my father-in-law said that his father had shown him how to make mechanical noise-makers (using iron rods and whirli-gigs) to do the same thing as the electronic chasers I put in. Gives me a little hope that these might work.

Profile picture for mina36

Update...

I put the devices in last about 8 days ago...and it looks like the gopher(s) have left. No new activity (mounds), and the mounds we messed with have not been re-opened. Hoping that I'm not jinxing myself by posting this.

They're back...

It's been almost two months, and we just noticed some new gopher mounds. However, they immediately gravitated toward the nearest gopher chaser. If the advert is correct, this will soon be followed by the gophers hightailing it for our neighbor's yard.

Will let you know if this happens...or if the electronic chaser's are a bust.

Get the green traps at the local hardware store and set them in the holes.  Use a couple feet of line and tie it to the trap and stake it in the yard..If not, they can pull the traps in the holes.  My wife has 37 certified kills, in the last 3 years she has been using them.  Also push the dead gopher back in the hole, then cover it up.  This will cause the others to leave the area.  I'm serious, this is a tried and true method.  There are products that are natural, for the faint of heart, on the market.  You spray it on the grass or where ever and it keeps them away.  A little bit expensive, but the one we used did work.  A quart was like 50 bucks thou.

February 03 2009
I have heard they work.  Moles have two tunnels deep and shallow.  The  shallow ones are there feeding tunnels.  The deep ones about 8-12" deep are there living tunnels.  Once you find the deep tunnels get a 3" flex pipe they use them for dryer and other venting, these fit over the old exhaust of lawnmowers.  Gas them out.  This has worked great for me.  You can try spraying for bugs.  No food no moles.  This also works but more on a sustainability level.

Profile picture for Melody91
I do not have experience with the outdoor electrical repellents; however, one person who lived in a Unit once put in one of the indoor electrical repellents for insects or perhaps rodents; I do not think it helped; HOWEVER, all please be aware, I had a honored guest to whom we gave parsonage, and at week;s end she asked if I could remove it from the house.
There is a hazard with people prone to seizure activity, that these electrical devices can trigger either epileptic 'petitl mal seizures' (which this woman confided she had&asked me to protect her from in future visits to my home); and they may also be able to trigger grand mal seizures , which are far more dangerous.

I do not have the har data on that one.

The point is, whether they do or do not work, do you want your children, their friends or you and your friends & neighbors  being subject to electric subliminal sounds that can trigger an eplileptic seizure?

I have not used electronic gopher repellers, but my father in law swears by an aged "tea" of urine and old hair steeped in the sun for a bout a week and then poured down the gopher holes. Yuk! He says it works, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I have used them and everything else years back.
The property I had back a school p e field.
I had little success with the battery noise generators that stake into the ground approx 12 inches.
I will now tell you what did work

GOPHER SPURGE
it is a small plant. I planted the seeds approx 4 foot on center and in a year no more gophers!  I had a neighbor who had them in their front yard and the gopher spurge was impractical.  He hooked up a 2 inch flex line from the exhaust pipe and put it in the fresh hole in the morning and started his car let it run for 15 minutes.  I never saw another gopher hole in his lawn again.
On caddy shack he used c-4 and when they filmed it in Florida the planes that flew over thought it was some major bomb or minor nuclear explosion.  The puppet lived for caddy shack 2

February 12 2010
Profile picture for prop4u
so I guess no one had success with the electronic device?

Profile picture for MartiKilgoreCecil
I have used the electronic device with great success.  I recommend using enough to cover your entire property.  It will put the signals out at different intervals too so it keeps the pulse going on constantly.

Profile picture for Khamsa
We have had moderately good success with the electronic repellers.  We have used them for years and they certainly have worked in much of our yard where gophers have left and not returned. But not always. It appears some gophers are simply desensitized to human noise and could care less. Those same gophers also get around traps and don't take poison bait. I dislike those gophers.
I do believe proper installation is part of the equation for the repellers to work well, they need to be in solid ground for the sound to propagate well, and several devices spaced about 6 to 10 feet apart are needed to guarantee coverage.
Our only issue with the repellers is the amount of spent D-batteries we end up with every six months since we have a lot of repellers to cover a large property. We have been slowing replacing with rechargeable D-batteries which has been expensive but eases our eco-conscience.  

Profile picture for randyv11
Virginia here. Had a mole problem, they were right under my concrete front porch, were actually coming on the porch and messing with plants. Planted one of these repellers directly in front of the porch, planted another on about forty feet out from the porch.  Took about three weeks, but the moles left the area! Had no mole problem for the remainder of the year.

And... left the repellers in the ground all winter, which the directions said I shouldn't have done. We had a lot of snow & rain through the winter. Popped the cap on my repellers last week, they were bone dry inside and one of them was actually still signaling. The batteries survived inside both with no corrosion.

I'm sold on these things!!

April 19
I have a huge gopher problem in my yard. I use giant destroyers to smoke them out and sometimes I use bait. They totally damage my yard every year.

April 19

Replacement Windows
Profile picture for DSM39
Latest reply by DSM39
1 day ago | 72 answers
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for deathsfuture
Latest reply by deathsfuture
Will a finished basement add value.
Profile picture for ZbigniewZawada
Latest reply by ZbigniewZawada
Cesspool vs Septic
Profile picture for ochsnola
Latest reply by ochsnola
August 01 | 9 answers
How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers