Profile picture for Dunes....

Are RE Agents from PA required by Law to post Contact info/website info on all posts??

Dunes, in the State of PA all REALTORS® are required to put their office information in any type of response on the internet. In other words, whenever a REALTOR® does anything in writing, they must put their name, office name and all office phone numbers.  That is not spam. If we do not put all information, we will be fined.  That's the law.                         

Renee Porsia                                                                                          Associate Broker 
Link

So are PA Agents allowed to post what Zillow Policy says is Spam..because there is a PA Law that says they are required to post the "Info"
  • February 17 2011 - Corvallis
  • 1

Best Answer

Simply responding to a question in the Zillow Advice forum is not advertising nor is it self-promotion. In fact, using the Zillow Advice forum to advertise is strictly prohibited in the Zillow Good Neighbor Policy, located at http://www.zillow.com/howto/GoodNeighborPolicy.htm: "Please don't post inappropriate stuff: Spam, advertising, or self-promotional content is not allowed in Zillow Advice. This includes, but is not limited to, any contact information such as phone numbers, email addresses, or website URLs." As part of this policy, Zillow prohibits those posting in Zillow Advice from including any contact information in their posts.

If you feel that something you posted in Zillow Advice could be considered advertising, self promotional, or holding yourself out as being able to provide real estate services, it shouldn't be there. Agents should not be holding themselves out as being able to provide services on Zillow Advice. If a consumer wishes to contact you based on a comment you leave in Zillow Advice, they will click the link to your profile where all of the required information is provided. Until then, you are simply providing your two cents to Zillow's community.

You know this is great question!!! Reallyfedup & Patrick T

In other words, whenever a REALTOR® does anything in writing, they must put their name, office name and all office phone numbers

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
there's other states that are having the same discussions...one member of unammed state's real estate commssion explained that even if you post on facebook personal comment like "so excited, have some showings today"  or "going to closing"  you have to but the broker ID and phone number.  

but...that seems absurd.

Actually, some time ago (several years) my manager told us that we were required by NJ law to include our company name, the term  "broker, sales associate or sales representative", office  address,  office phone and our legal name ( no nicknames) on any printed materials or online presence. We are not required to display any ID number.

That's why my name shows as Debra (Debbie) Rose......Debra is on my license, so,  I must use it even though I am always known as Debbie.

It has been my understanding that as long as anything I do or say online is linked to that information, I am abiding by the law.

Since all my responses here, and on any other site do link to a profile page containing the necessary information, I am in compliance.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Think I'll be using/linking the Best Answer instead of quoting the GNP or FAQ when posting something that Explains Zilliow's Spam Policy..

I like it...

Profile picture for hpvanc
It is even possible that Renee and the others are responding to informarketing bulletins by their local association.  I suspect there are many of these that have been published with an "interpretation" and a dire warning, in an attempt to get unsuspecting agents to establish a beachhead for this agenda item of theirs on the sites that do not allow it.

At this point, I do not believe that PA Board of Realtors has that requirement. I would encourage all agents to check with their local board. Since Zillow Advice is not an advertisement, agents should not be required to do any more than what is required by the NAR for a "tweet" and link posts to their profile page with their information. That is already done automatically on Zillow.

If Trulia, decided not to read the NAR bylaws and bend to demands, that's their choice. If there is a specific rule for agents in PA I'd like to see the link to the specific section of those regulations.

Profile picture for hpvanc
I'm a little confused by Renee's posts.  I she saying it is a state licensing requirement, or something that her local/state association board is trying to push?

There is only a problem if it is the former.  If it is the latter, the association board needs to make a decision, since Zillow is a private entity much like the association, that gets to make its own rules and Zillow has already taken a stand on a nationwide basis.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Rachel just the following...Link [Is Zillow on the ball or what? ;)

"Renee,
We had this same question come up about Kansas. The rule applies to advertising. eg. real estate agents promoting their services and/or seeking customers.

Since this sort of content is not allowed in Zillow Advice, there should be no issue.

Simple answering questions shouldn't be advertising.  We will confirm, but I'm pretty sure the outcome will be the same."

Rachel

Profile picture for Reallyfedup
It's how some interpret things.  This is why there are always several different answers to questions posted here.  Nowhere have I seen anything about adding the info to posts.  It all refers to advertising.  Advertising would be that separate little side box thay cries "Pick Me! Pick Me!"

Profile picture for Dunes....
"Linking to key disclosures on the Web. The Professional Standards Committee continues to consider how the Code applies to the Internet and mobile technology. Standard of Practice 12-5 requires REALTORS® to disclose the name of their firm in all advertising of real estate services and listed property. But in some cases, only a very limited amount of information can be displayed via electronic communication; consider posts on Twitter. Standard of Practice 12-5 was amended to take these limitations into account, and now provides that these displays are exempt from the requirement to disclose the firm's name, but only if they are linked to all required disclosures." NAR Site

Sorry Sunnyview..I wasn't as quick as you lol

Realtors can go here for more Details..NAR

I have done a little research. I do not think that including agent information in posts is required under the PA Real Estate Commission, the PA Association of Realtors or under the NAR's newly updated Standard of Ethics section 12.5.

In fact the Rules section 12.5 was recently updated in January 2011 to make more allowances for the use of websites and social media sites here. Since every post on Zillow from an agent links to the profile page containing all that required information, agents should have no issues leaving their personal, license and contact info on their profile page as currently required by Zillow's policy.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Wasn't there a discussion about including the license number in CA.  While I don't see them including it on a regular basis, I don't think the moderators ever deleted license numbers.

Profile picture for Dunes....
@ Sunnyview

"I would hate to see any professional on the wrong side of their Board."

I agree but IMO the Agents issue or gripe would be with their Board not Zillow....If it's an Honest issue then post where your Board allows

The only thing I saw in the PAR link that Sunny provided was regarding advertisements specifically.  I do also believe that all agents need to put office contact information in their profile.  There was nothing I saw regarding specific posts and I would be interested in Renee providing a link that shows otherwise.

My issue with this is that Renee is being disingenuous in using this as an excuse to provide contact information, especially her direct contact number which is certainly not a requirement anywhere.

When you see that all other agents are abiding by Zillow's guidelines and try to use PAR guidelines as an excuse to break the forum's rules, it reflects poorly on that agent.

As I stated before, if any of the Realtor® Associations have any issue with the lack of contact information directly implanted in each post, I would think they would take it up with Zillow and since you know that people from the various associations cruise the boards, it would have been dealt with a long time ago if it was really considered a problem.

Profile picture for Reallyfedup
I believe that rule applies to advertising.  Agents that work for a broker must include the company name in any advertising they do.  They are not allowed to advertise by their name only.

There may be new regulations regarding internet postings, but I would think that the little picture, up in the left hand corner, that when clicked on provides all the info. would be suffice.

I was told by that other site that this is the reason they are now allowing it in their signoffs.  Sorry, I still don't buy it.

There was an agent from California maybe a year ago that had the same argument for the ad on the bottom of their posting. However I am no longer seeing this on CA postings.

I think we need a clarification from Zillow on the issue.

I've always thought that it was on any form of advertisement and regarding posting on a public forum, as Pas says a person's profile with office name and number are one click away.

Regardless, not one person has ever had an issue with with this before as far as being fined plus she included her direct contact information as well.   Since Zillow enforces the policy, the PAR, NJAR and all other ARs would have to take it up with Zillow.
Simply self-serving excuses. 

This is just Renee being Renee. 

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Absolutely not, because the user name has the link to the profile that already has that info...

BUT they are required to have their license number on their profile, and many don't so, many are breaking the law.

I don't know the answer to that. The PA code is here here. Hopefully, a PA agent can explain. I would hate to see any professional on the wrong side of their Board.