Profile picture for tobiasjones

Are agents starting to become doomers?

To start with I hold most of the agents who post on this board in the highest regard and I wish that you happened to be in the area that I am looking for a house.  I would use many of you based on your comments here on zillow.

In the last week I have received four calls “just seeing if you need anything” from realtors that I have spoken with in the last 18 months.  Are realtors getting desperate?  If there are no sales no one gets paid right?  Is the time ripe for realtors to start strongly encouraging sellers to price more aggressively (lower) to get some sales?

April 11 2008 - US

Realtors are now finally starting to do what they are supposed to.  In the boom market, anyone who could answer a phone could sell a home.  Now, we need to get back to what people actually pay for...service.  You will probably start to notice a lot better customer/client service from the agents who will survive this market. 

Realtors in CA, AZ and FL are actually busy with all the shortsales.

amerisave, that isn't really true...

sales of every type are running 30% less than last year, and prices down 20%...

so 0.7*0.8 = 0.56 That means total commisionable transactions this year are at about 56% of last year, not enough to keep all the agents in business.

azrob also short sales offer less commission (5% to split) instead of 6. This is almost 17% reduction in reveue. On top of all this REDFIN is right there to give back 2% which means it is only 1% commission.

Realtors will be GONE soon. I think the payout for realtors 6% is WAY TOO MUCH.

Profile picture for !crazy guy!

I agree with you on that. Realtors just get in the way. I bought my last few homes without a realtor and got a better price as a result. The very fact that realtors get paid by selling you a home (both on seller and buyer side) seems to be a contradiction. e.g., why would any realtor want you to pay less for a home as that means they get less comission.

Profile picture for interested_observer

"I agree with you on that. Realtors just get in the way. I bought my last few homes without a realtor and got a better price as a result. The very fact that realtors get paid by selling you a home (both on seller and buyer side) seems to be a contradiction. e.g., why would any realtor want you to pay less for a home as that means they get less comission."

The world must be coming to an end, !crazy guy! posted something I agree with.

Scams and Fraud
Profile picture for Michael Emery
Latest reply by Michael Emery
  • Posted by Russ Hatfield Jr.
  • In Home Buying
Does FHA verify/visit primary residence for a 1st time home buyer?
Profile picture for ranjanclan
Latest reply by ranjanclan
1 day ago | 7 answers
Buyer Agent Commission Rebate
Profile picture for UpNest
Latest reply by UpNest
1 day ago | 31 answers
Stay away from iMortgage
Profile picture for sam sporty
Latest reply by sam sporty
Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Profile picture for glenviewjeff
Latest reply by glenviewjeff