Are any landlords that are willing to allow at least three pets for house rentals, two cats and one

Hello, I am on the hunt to find answers about finding a rental with pets. I have an unique situation where my boyfriend and I are looking for a house rental where a landlord is willing to allow three pets. We have two wonderful well behaved cats who are litter trained and very mellow. However, the unique situation is that we are considering to get a home service dog because we both are deaf and want a dog to help us to hear things for us (i.e. doorbells, any sounds that is alarming) A puppy is on the way in October and will have a trainer to come to our house to train our puppy. Are there anyone that I can contact with and finding help to find a rental that can allow this situaiton with pets? Any information would be very helpful! Our ideal house or townhome would be at least two bedrooms with one bathrooms within 700 to 900 per month rental that are close to i25 highway. We are hoping to move in by end of September or beginning of October. Thank you. 
  • August 01 2012 - Colorado Springs
  • 0

Best Answer

To qualify as a service animal, the puppy would have to perform ONE function to help you. That is all it would take for that puppy to meet the definition of a service animal. Alerting at the doorbell or phone only would qualify. The puppy could also qualify as a service animal if it provided emotional support and you could get a note from your doctor stating that her recommended a service animal for your "condition".

Service animals are NOT considered pets under the law and no pet deposits can be required. Frankly, if you are renting a place, I would not disclose the puppy. Landlords should know the law, but many do not and will discriminate out of hand. It is wrong, but I have seen it happen with others. I would tell the landlord about the two cats and leave the service animal out of the mix up front. 

That may seem underhanded, but the law does not require any deposits for service animals, the landlord cannot legally refuse them and on most rental applications the section for animals in the residence is labeled "Pets". Service animals are NOT pets under the law.

I am glad to hear that you are getting a dog trained. I had two deaf grandparents who were active in the deaf community for years and I sure wish that service animals for the deaf were available for them. It is important to treat the new addition to your family like a working dog and be a good tenant and neighbor. Well trained service animals are a joy, but bad ones make it harder for those who come after you. All the best.

You might try offering to pay a larger REFUNDABLE pet deposit to entice a landlord. If you for it to be refundable then you can offer more security for yourself (you'll get your money back) and to the landlord who may be more willing to take a chance on a tenant with pets. 

I've done this with my own rental properties and it's worked out well. Just be sure everyone is clear on what refundable means. 

Best of luck.

There are pet lovers everywhere. I had a wonderful landlord who knew I had 5 cats and did not even require a pet deposit. This was a new home . Be patient I mentioned in all my applications that my cats also have rental references also.  Hope this helps some. I hope you  find a happy home for all your family pets included. 

Profile picture for Don Greenberg
Would the trainer perhaps know of some avenues regarding housing. I am sure they have come across this situation before. I think you have a slight challenge for housing, but not impossible. I would speak with management companies as they are more likely to accommodate than big apartment complexes! You may find units for rent that have all ceramic tile, in which an accident here and there wouldn't be as big of a concern.

Yikes, tough situation.    If the pup/dog were already trained, then you would have far less problem as there are protections in place for people with trained service dogs. No one would consider a puppy a trained service dog, even if it is "in training". 

Here's a sample letter.

Have you considered getting a more mature dog and starting training now?