Profile picture for DanaEv

Are raised vessel sinks going to go out of style?

My husband and I will be gutting a half bath on our main floor.  It's a huge room and we'll probably put in double sinks with a cabinet base that looks like furniture and a nice toilet with possible storage somewhere (there's a pedestal sink so no storage; at the moment I have a 3 drawer small cabinet to keep accessories in).

I love the vessel sinks and even know the colors I want.  My concern is that in 20 years that will date the house, which is why we are also staying away from glass tiles.  We want something that will stand the test of time and not look like it came from a certain era.

Any opinions?  I want to use granite as the countertop, raised vessel sinks and beautiful faucets (I've considered the overflowing type sink top also, that looks kind of like a mini eternity pool). We'll be putting down slate floors (large size), pulling down the wall paper and painting the room in a pale shade of green. We used the green in our kids' bathroom and it's beautiful and calming.  I want the vessel sinks to have a tint of green but still be see through.  I just don't want to put a lot of money into something that will instantly date our house when we get old and decide to sell  and move to something smaller.

thanks!
  • October 28 2009 - US

I would say yes, but that's only my opinion. The vessel sink sort of came into style about 4-5 years ago. I think the 10 years from now, it will stamp a date onto your remodel. If you choose the vessel sinks, you can control the purchase cost of the vessel sinks and make sure that the cabinet that you choose below them can be fitted with a standard undermounted/inset sink. That way if it is dated you will only have to replace the sink and not the entire set up. It gives you what you want now with maximum flexibility later if your want to change it.

They are a pain in the rear to keep clean, and will likely look dated (many of them do from the first day).

I suspect yes. 

Even granite will be dated in 20 years.

Profile picture for bamkmartin
I would be happy with a hammered copper sink in your bathroom.  If it looks dated in 20 years, swap it out with something else.  Its a simple change.  In 20 years automatic sinks with sensors and automatic soap dispensers will be all the rage, they will detect the family member who is using the sink and automatically set the water temperature to his or her preferred temperature.

Profile picture for DanaEv
Thank you for the replies.  That was my biggest fear.  I do think that granite may also date a house, but it's a gorgeous stone that you can get in many colors, and I'm just not a fan of the new colored concrete counters and such.

So I'll try to find a cabinet bottom that is easy to switch sinks out of if I do buy a vessel sink.  That way when we get old it'll be easy to put in a sink in whatever the style is at the time.

Slate may not be in style either, but the colors are gorgeous and I already have 3 tables with slate tops and I used Slate as the backsplash in my kitchen and have actually had workmen take pictures of it to show to their wives!  We'll be redoing the entire foyer floor in Slate, but no other room, as it can get overwhelming (right now the foyer is small white marble squares and looks weird because the area is huge and the squares are smaller than what you'd put in a bathroom!).  We want a Wow factor as you walk in, and the different colors of Slate can't be beat for a Wow factor, along with a water wall in the foyer, plus I want a border that is about as big as a huge rug done in a neutral tone with the Slate  as I think it'll make a bigger statement.

Again, thanks! We have been doing so many renovations and I just don't want to be that house that has the green oven  and refrigerator of the 70's when we move, you know?

Great plan.  If you really stay in you home 20 years, vessel sinks may have cycled back around by the time you plan to sell.  So, on that far future date, check what is popular before you change out the sinks.  Granite  and slate had the advantage of being natural and mutli-colored.  I am betting they will stand the test of time and still be acceptable for decades to come.  Frequently, faucets and hardware (like knobs and pulls) do look dated after many years.  So, when the time comes, look into changing them for more up to date color/shape then repaint in a popular neutral color (neutral colors tend to come from nature, so, whatever the neutral colors are in 20 years, they should go well with the granite & slate.)  The whole renovation sounds lovely!

Profile picture for Melody91
 Dana-

I'd say IF you love vessel sinks, DO it for NOW; yet get one that is reasonably priced.
 I put one in that became A Hit of a Reconstruction. I later saw it in 'homes of the future.' It has brought the family the best joy and literally wowed all visitors there.
 At the time it was going for $850 in Europe; I bid $90 for it on E-Bay & got it for that price! 
   A few weeks ago, I was asked by someone who saw the previously mentioned bathroom, to help them on a medium bathroom reconstruction, where they want vessel sinks, & low priced granite, (which they knew I had negotiated on the one they saw & loved).

Naturally, I was flattered to be asked. I started some preliminary checking on-line, and I saw the one I previously purchased for $90,  is now at over $1650 in Europe. It surprised me; yet it IS snazzy.

As for cleaning,  a thick multi-colored glass, has been THE easiest to maintain of ALL the 7 sinks I ordered for that project.
   What do you care if you get a base cabinet that can handle either a vessel or an alternate sink, if you enjoy it for 10+ years.? Live for 'The NOW,' especially if you know your most enjoyed colors, as did the person for whom I ordered the sink on E-Bay!
   Also, IF you get a Vessel Sink, make sure it is NOT less than 5.5" deep, AND that you get the proper faucet for it( has to be higher/taller. There are also some faucets with real pizazz; for not much more than regular faucets; and it DOES set that bathroom APART from most others.
   Now I am sorry I did not get one for my own bathroom in my house.

I agree, likely granite will be 'out' and some sort of glass counters with lights below, before the next 'green' (not in color) mode comes in...My crystal ball is also out for repair.
  Buy reasonably priced goods you enjoy for the present, rather than try to guess what might be in mode in 20 years.

One more comment: If you want Vessel & to go 'conservative' (though they are not a WOW, yet maybe to Vern Yipp) the simple white porcelain square ones, with the Feng Shui (sp) look, are also IN...with the soothing Oriental type bathrooms. Yet, I would assume, those could be harder to clean than the thick glass one to which I referred. I do not know what type of sink the Tiffany got that was hard to clean from Day 1.
Tiffany- What kind was it?
  I can say that the aluminum sinks, (drop in) in bathrooms DO show every drop of water; yet, vinegar spray comes to the rescue quite easily.
Right now, I DO think they add to the value of the Bathroom.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.
      Melody

Profile picture for DanaEv
Thanks Melody.  You are right that we should buy what makes us happy at this time.  I fell in love with vessel sinks the first time I saw them, and I agree that the faucet should stand much taller to get it a better WOW factor.

We'll be doing the Slate in the foyer and that half bath in the next couple of months.  Then we'll tear that bathroom apart and my husband said I can do whatever I want to to do it (it has rose patterned wall paper with striped border,a deep pink pedestal sink, deep pink toilet and small small white tile floors - anything is better than what the ex owner put in there LOL!).  We call it the ugly bathroom, as in "if the phone rings, I'll be in the ugly bathroom".

When we bought the house, we bought it for life.  We only intend to move when we become too old to care for it and will need something smaller. So I can see us in this house for at least 20 years if not a few more, depending upon our health.  It's large enough so that when my children have children they can all come over and we won't feel overwhelmed.

Now if we could only figure out what to do with those two stupid rooms that we currently don't use (house is really just too big - we could take one of those downstairs rooms and turn it into a bedroom and bathroom because it's so large).

I'm looking forward to changing it all so that it looks updated.  We've changed so much already that it doesn't even look like the house we originally bought!

Profile picture for Mr Caveat
i figure if you buy a sink and it lasts 20 years, its done its job and its time to let go. 0.02

If you intend to be int he house for a while, definitely buy what you like.

As far as cleanliness...the materials used tend to show drips more, and around the base can be a real pain. I suggest keeping an old toothbrush handy.

omg - a pink pedestal sink.......PLEASE post before and after pics!  And let us know when you are done.

Everything is going to go out of style.

The only thing that has never gone out of style in my 37 years of building is...hmmm... I can't think of anything that hasn't.

Here is the answer from a High End Professional, Vessel sinks are beautiful but not functional at all!! We have done several bathrooms from hand-hammered copper to hand made glass, which are gorgeous. If you like them, go for it!!   I would not be concerned about the sink or the glass tile being dated in 20 years. Most people redecorate every ten years and for resale purposes, they look expensive. Besides, god only knows what will happen in 20 years, realistically speaking!!  Just dont get the cheap ones, those might look dated as some people here claim. 

I say go with the "mini eternity pool" sink. Anything that will make a person stand back and say wow, is a good thing. The vessel sinks will appear dated in 20 years, but so will granite. But if its beautifull, and makes you stand back and say WOW, the date of install doesnt really matter all that much.

Profile picture for DanaEv
Yeah Bert, the more I think about it, the more I think you're right.  I know that maybe granite will date the house, but granite has been going strong for years because it's such a durable rock with so many beautiful shades.  So I can use the granite and make the mini eternity pool type sink stand out because it truly is a wow factor.  I can never get enough of looking at those sinks and I'd have to think someone would like it much more than just a regular sink in the bathroom.

Yes, everything that comes into style goes out at some time.  Who knows if you wait long enough it might come back into style. I also agree with one of the previous posts that they are miserable to keep clean.

Profile picture for AlexShek
Everything will go out of style eventually. Do something you will enjoy for the next 10+ years

Profile picture for Melody91
AMEN to the Above! And ENJOY!