Profile picture for ms hudson

Are rental prices negotiable?

I know, I know, some people will say EVERYTHING is negotiable. But seriously, is this something realtors/homeowners/property managers expect (like when buying a car) or will I be looked at like I have 3 heads if I try to negotiate (as if negotiating grocery prices)? 

If it is something people barter with, what is a normal range? $50/month less may not seem like much but I know the owner is giving up $600/year that way. 

Would home owners/property managers negotiate a higher deposit in exchange for lower rent? Like giving an extra $600 on the deposit for $50 or $100 less on rent. 

I know every home owner will look at it differently, but in general, are these situations normal? I've only rented apartments in the past, so I'm new to the home rental arena! 
  • May 16 2013 - San Antonio
  • 0

The answer is yes, it can be negotiated.  You just have to sweeten the deal to the seller like signing a 2 year lease, having excellent credit and glowing references.

Naima

I don't know about San Antonio, but here in Dallas things often go the other way.  Some tenants are offering above the list price to lock up the home so that it doesn't go to anyone else.

The rental market here is very hot, so if you're not offering something special...like to move in right away, extra deposit, over list price, etc, you may not get it....

I've seen some people here offer less or try to negotiate and they get left sitting on the sidelines while someone else rents the home they wanted.

It was not always like this....3 or 4 years ago it was as you mentioned...perhaps you could sign for two years and get $50/$100 off per month...or offer higher deposit or something like that....but I almost never see that now.

Some home owners will negotiate.    If the rental has been on the market for a long time, the owner is more likely to negotiate.   If it has only been listed for a few days, then less likely.