Are there any banks that will give you a loan for a home when you've filed bankruptcy?

My bankruptcy was discharged in May 2011.  I have to move out soon as I did not reaffirm my home and it is being foreclosed on.  I had to file bankrupcy due to a medical situation in the family.  I am in a position now that I can pay a mortgage again but since the debt for the house I live in was discharged, it makes no sense to try to keep that house.  I have the bankruptcy on my record because of the mortgage company not working with me to begin with so I want to move on and find another house.  I only need about $30,000-$40,000 and I only want a 10 year mortgage but the banks tell me I have to wait two years.  I've read you should be able to get a mortgage loan before that time but I can't find any bank interested.  I have no debts and I make decent money.  What can I do?  Any suggestions?

November 07 2012 - US

Typically you must wait the two years.. I would suggest looking for a home where the seller might hold the financing for you until you are able to finance from a bank, sort of a  lease purchase option.

Profile picture for 16920annesleygirl
I am not a financial pro but we currently have a bk chapter 7 discharge may 31,2011.. and NO one will give you a mortgage until the 2 yrs is up.. I have searched e verywhere, and everyone .. and u have to wait 2 yrs . We are currently going threw same situation waitin 2 yrs.. Now it might be a little different for you since you had a mortgage and it is on your bk.. I was told if u had a mortgage on the Bk you have to wait 3 yrs. but i am not 100% on that one.. Do some research and check things out .

You will want to find a lender to work with and they can tell you when you can get another mortgage.  You may have to wait 2 years or more but if you pay your bills on time, your credit will begin to repair.  I hope you can find a lender you would like to work with. 
Holly Gorsuch
Real Estate Agent