Profile picture for mrschmooshies

Are there any concrete contractors serving Scranton that actually want a job?

Does anyone know a reliable concrete contractor that services Scranton that will actually show up for estimates and follow through? We're pretty much ready to hire (want to get this awful two track driveway replaced before winter), but we've not been able to get any estimates. We've had one contractor that set up an appointment to come out and never did, one that said he'd call us back to set up an appointment and never did, and one that actually came and took measurements but never bothered to actually give us an estimate (it's been 2 weeks, pretty sure we're not getting it). Needless to say, we're a little frustrated, and we're wondering why no one seems to want our money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 
  • August 25 2011 - Scranton
  • 0

Profile picture for mrschmooshies
No worries. Scranton, PA. I thought I'd selected that as my location when I posted the question, but either that doesn't show up or I'm mistaken. I was pretty sure CL was not worth pursuing.

I know I'm contacting people in the right area. I always look at the city in which they are based, so I know how far they have to travel (and thus how likely they are to actually show up).

I jumped on Angie's List today because I'm tired of not getting calls/calls back. I figure there's at least a little accountability on Angie's List, though of all of the concrete contractors on there, there are all of 2 with reviews (1 each, perfect marks for both). At least there I can know if they're bonded and insured.

For the record, I had immense success with my last major project (new siding) through Service Magic, and I figured that would spread out across all types of projects. Haven't gotten a single call, though from the looks of things, there aren't many internet-savvy contractors serving the Scranton, PA area.

I probably shouldn't have posted any of this on here to begin with, really. I honestly thought I was posting in a more local forum, but clearly that's not the case. Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I mostly needed a place to vent about some of the extremely unprofessional contractors in the area (plumbers here are just as bad).

Not being a smart aleck, but which Scranton do you live in? There at least 5 in the US that I am aware of. Perhaps you are contacting companies in the wrong states. (PA, NY, IA, KS, AR).

Stay away from Craig's List. Period. You will not find a reputable company advertising there.

Angie's List is worth the small fee for membership, if you are close to a city they cover.

Service Master is too cut-throat between the contractors, and usually only the "low-baller" companies frequent there to get business, as their quality of work in inferior. (That is just my generalized opinion. Your results may vary).

Profile picture for mrschmooshies
The big problem I have with Angie's List is that there's no guarantee that they even HAVE concrete contractors in my area there, and I really don't think I should have to pay someone to find someone to pay to do work, particularly if Angie's List doesn't even have anyone (Service Magic is also lacking in this department).

Not sure I could trust anyone on Craigslist to be properly insured and actually do the job, particularly since they'll probably want half of it up front. Everyone I've seen on there has no information on their company, and digging deeper doesn't come up with anything (i.e. Googling their phone number, which is pretty much all they provide). Just look like a whole bunch of scams to me.

Thanks anyway. 

You can try your luck with Craigs or Angieslist