Are there real homeowners, or prospective buyers that benefit from the service Zillow provides?

March 30 2011 - Naples

Use of Zillow includes access to top Real Estate Agents that offer their experience and knowledge for free. Your Naples home search should include a REALTOR that is an area expert with indepth knowledge of your target area whether it be in the Naples or Marco Island market. Exact taxes, HOA costs, fees and location specific restrictions are provided to you through your agent. Also your agent can open the scope of your search to areas or options that you may not have thought of.

Profile picture for TeddyBearNeil
I have been a Zillow member for a long time and I have found it an extremely useful tool to research Homes. I still use it as the first stop in my research. But of late I have noticed that the Property Tax data being presented by Zillow has been inconsistent and inaccurate and as a result, the Monthly Payment Calculations are no more reasonably accurate estimates just like Realtor.Com's numbers!

I look up Trulia.Com for the Crime Map of a property, which unfortunately is not presented by Zillow.

Zillow is a tool that we find buyers most often use to look around at the local market. That said, sellers and their agents use Zillow to gain more visibility and be available to sellers. Zillow is a great tool that we recommend to buyers and sellers.

Profile picture for TeddyBearNeil
[duplicate post deleted by Zillow  moderator]

When our buyers in Naples Lely Resort or Fiddler's Creek want to see on a map the Real Estate activity, Zillow gives a map overview that is impressive. That said, by working with an agent to look at active and past sales a better true picture of the market can be obtained. It is always beneficial for a buyer to have an agent to help them to fine tune their search for a specific home and help to determine costs, fees and restrictions.

I believe Zillow is an excellent site for everyone. Sellers benefit by their listing being posted on Zillow because the majority of buyers that I talk to go to Zillow first. Also, I know Zillows mobile site is extremely convenient for buyers when they are driving neighborhoods and trying to determine the right area for them to buy in.

Zillow is an easy site to come to get a general idea on homes for sale & its value.   I recommend getting a Realtor to get a thorough value assessment done for your home.  Since at times home value shown on Zillow may not be accurate.  Also market is changing & you want to know the latest market condition to make an informed decision.

Profile picture for BarbaraPasnak
I am a home owner and while Zillow would be a great tool to find homes, the information on Zestimates is ridiculous and should be banned EVERYWHERE. I am personally outraged at my homes Zestimate and the claim that they use tax assessment value is just plain B.S. my Zestimate is about 85k my appraisal less then 2 years ago is 131k. If a potential buyer were to see this they would simply pass on it. This is my future they are messing with.

Zillow is a fabulous tool for buyers, and sellers as well.  The amount of information that is available makes it so buyers and sellers both can be educated in the Real Estate Market, helping them to make smart decisions pertaining to buying or selling their home.

Zillow may be one source of trend information that buyers and sellers may benefit from.

Arpad

I believe that Zillow is viewed as a good resource for prospective buyers,
sellers

For sure. I get most of my buyers from Zillow and they are buyers who are honestly looking to purchase a home in the near future.
Zillow gives my listings greater exposure than any other site I use. 

Sure. My sellers have more potential buyer's viewing their properties when my listings are on Zillow. Potential Buyers are able to make inquiries for specific information, making a more informed buyer and usually making the escrow process a lot smoother. 

However, Zillow is not a substitute for the education and experience of a real estate professional. Be sure to have the guidance of an experienced agent.

Profile picture for Michinaga
Zillow is a truly amazing resource for a prospective home buyer; the maps with past sales and current offers make the site worth visiting all by themselves.  With this kind of information available so readily, you can be fully armed with all the background info you need before you even talk to a real estate agent.  What a time-saver!

illow.

Many of my buyers have come through Zillow. I am Very grateful for their continued quality in marketing. When we ask our walk ins how they found us, on line, Zillow is almost certain to come up first. Zillow is easy to search and has All of the MLS listings. Start here first!

Wow ... almost a year and still going strong.  What a great topic.  I've enjoyed browsing the replies and seeing what the variety of responders find most useful.

I too find that many of my clients gravitate to Zillow and find it useful, especially in researching neighborhoods of interest.  Perhaps more useful to buyers than to sellers.  The zestimates will always have issues, but most sophisticated users are aware and make allowances.  Sometimes in the forums, geographical differences equate to differences in the practice of real estate and I hope that consumers realize that there are differences between how one buys or sells real estate here in California and how one buys or sells in another area of the country. 

Overall, seems to be very user friendly.

Yes, there are real people on Zillow.

Yes I have had many clients find a home on Zillow and then contact me.  Sometimes the site is not updated properly but the customer can search privately then contact a qualified agent when they are ready to do business.  It is a win win for all!

As a 'real homeowner" whose home is not for sale I find Zillow and it's inaccurate and unwanted zestimate a nuisance. The fact that they cannot map half my neighborhood within the correct city demonstrates how useless the tool is to anyone. The valuations are substantially incorrect for those homes 'located by Zillow' in the wrong city and they refuse to delete or correct them. It has been 8 months since they said it would take 6 to 8 months to resolve the geo-mapping problem, but I have zero faith in their ability to do anything that doesn't make a quick buck for zillow and its fatcat executives. Bottom line is Zillow has too many errors to make it even slightly useful to anyone other than for novelty value.

Profile picture for Sporty14
As a home buyer in 2007 and looking to upgrade soon in 2012, I find Zillow extremely helpful in searching homes.  I like to see what competing homes are selling for in certain areas.  Being able to look around a neighborhood rather than in a price range on other sites is very nice.  Also, the extra info that Zillow has for Tax ID and subdivision lot numbers it way more than you get on a standard reality site.

Occasionally in my area, the locations are not correctly placed on the map, but that is more user error than the site.  ZIllow is by far my favorite site to search for homes.  I just wish it could highlight new additions!

Profile picture for EPCutler
Yes, I feel Zillow is a valuable tool for Homeowners, Buyers, and Real Estate Professionals...STILL. Someone suggested that this question has been well answered and to note the post dates. My reply to that is I understand their statement, but I think this question having new respondents may be a good thing in showing it's continued relevance to "Real Home Owners", "Buyers, and Real Estate professionals. As a Real Home Owner if I looked and saw that the last reply to this question was really old, the thought may cross my mind that it might not be currently. Food for thought in March 2012.

Zillow is the best tool out there for Home buyers and sellers. It has more info than any other site going. Many of our buyers come through the site.

Yes. I have talked with many buyers who hav contacted me and have bought homes after finding that house on Zillow.

February 25 2012
Most people are finding me on Trulia or Zillow before they even hit my own site. More hits on Trulia right now, though. Hopeful that Zillow will improve; I think the customer service with Zillow is great.

February 07 2012
The answer in 2012 is yes!  Sites like Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc. allow home buyers and sellers to take control.  They can search the MLS, get Zestimates, local stats, school information, etc.  Most importantly they can vet potential agents by reading unedited reviews on the 3rd party sites.  While these sites create more educated consumers most users still need the assistance of a local agent to filter inaccurate or outdated MLS information.  Zillow information is not regulated by the local RE boards and agents can change listing information freely, creating some inaccuracies.  Your local agent can easily help you by cross referencing Zillow information against the direct feed to MLS.

I do believe that the information on Zillow provides buyers, sellers, with a valuable tool while deciding what to buy, where to buy and which agent to hire.

Absolutely, potential buyers & sellers are able to locate homes, use zestimate, obtain school information, loan information, find a reputable real estate professional, the list goes one.  Zillow is user friendly.

I believe Zillow is a great resource tool for both homeowners and buyers. They get a glimpse of the market from information collected on homes that "Sold" and "Homes for Sale" in their area. And the Agent's Profile and Reviews are very helpful when a client is searching for a local Realtor for their real estate needs.  

There are real buyers who do their research on Zillow. Their goal of finding valuable info on homes in their criteria is well presented. They have learned to be wary of Zestimates. It is also a great way to review the profile, blogs and reviews of agent candidates. I have worked with many qualified clients who value my services as a realtor and who use Zillow faithfully. Wes Black  Semonin Realtors  text ok