Are you going to stop using your picture to advertise your name.

I am starting to see a trend of agents/Realtors not using their pictures. Some say it costs them business, others for safety, what do you think?
  • April 26 2011 - Raleigh
  • 0

Thanks for all your great answers

For me it's a yes, I will keep using my photo. The recognition thing is big and on some level clients like to put a face to a name.

Also for the more casual contacts they may remember my face but not my name.

No photo on yard signs though, seems a little narcissistic and an invitation for graffiti.

I just got back to reading all these interesting responses. It stands to reason that people 'pick' an agent based on their 'face' or picture. Its 'show business.
I love the comment about being able to sell the company later on with the branding, thats inspiring for those of us who do a lot of business.

And to answer the 'this has been discussed before'  Life is cyclical, everything has been discussed and discovered, but a new generation comes along and they havent read it or discussed it, thats why it comes back.

I am pro picture. when I meet a new client (generally at my office first) I want them to feel like they know me. I wish clients had pictures :)

I am going to just use my dog's picture... everybody always wants to meet him!

Profile picture for Marty Huskins
I will continue to use my picture on my business cards and all advertising that I do.

I was in a business a few weeks ago and someone recognized me from my card.  After a brief conversation, they asked if I would be willing to list there home!

To me, its all about exposure.

All my best!

Marty

Realtors are still using pictures, however, we are trying to brand outselves with our logo.

Profile picture for Carole Tyne

I do not list my picture on my website.   Mostly for safety reasons.

Hi Sharon -

I've started taking off my picture and using my logo instead. I want people to remember the company, the business, not me the agent. Of course, I want a good referral when we're done with the transaction but I want them to remember the business.

Eventually, wouldn't you like to sell your business? You can't sell "you" but you can sell a business.  The more separated you are from the business, the easier it will be to sell it.  Just my opinion!

~Emcee

Debbie,
Read the entire post. I wasn't saying not to use your picture at all. Yes, pictures can help you brand yourself but you don't have to put it on everything.   

Whats wrong with it.. 

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
As long as your photo looks like you and isn't inappropriate then it's not a significant safety thing. I'll keep using mine. but here's an idea for you if you are unsure

Order a set of cards with and a set of cards without.  keep them both with you, when you are ready to hand one to a client you'll know at that time if you'd rather have had one with a photo or not.  

Then, use the ones you don't hand to clients to leave at broker's opens, showings, and in those drawings at eating places to win a free lunch etc for leaving your card.  -just a thought.

as far as the costing them business...I don't really see that, and they way I look at it.  If my photo costs me business - then seeing me in person will scare the crap out of people- so better to find that out before they call you back. (ha ha). 

Just curious - How would an "older" agent (and I  fall into that category, since I am past 50) know that a photo cost them business?
Not being facetous here, just curious.

Maybe they were just inept!
What about a young, unattractive/homely agent - should they be worrying, too?
And..........let's remember that not all buyers and sellers are young - maybe a more mature agent would appeal to a more mature buyer or seller.

I think , imo, the photo, say,  on a business card, is just a tool to help with recognition, and connecting a face to a name.
 I have gone into local stores,and had a clerk say: "I know you - you look familiar - you're a realtor, aren't you"......so photos, old or young. work for me

I have heard older agents say its costing them business....which is sad,

To be succinct, yes, I will continue to use my photo on my business cards and in local ads...and here on the internet, as most of you are doing!

For the person who thinks it's "tacky" why do you have a photo here, online?

I  advertise in our local paper, and have gotten business from that over the 26 years I am in the business, or I wouldn't continue to spend money doing that.
Someone once called me just from the ad, saying they chose me because they liked my smile! Obviously, I didn't get their listing based on the smile, but apparently it opened the door.

Just the other day, the receptionist at my hair salon said: "Oh, I saw your photo/ad in the paper today" I didn't know you were an agent (I don't push myself on people (as I think that's tacky), or march around wearing a name pin)......she said her aunt will be selling her home soon, and she would have her call me. Without my photo, she may never have connected me to the ad.

Buyers may visit a number of homes on a Sunday open house day.........having
a  photo on the business card makes it easier for them to remember who you were.

As the old saying goes - if it ain't broke, don't fix it...better yet........if it's still working....certainly don't change it!
For me, it has been workng.

Profile picture for The LaPeer Team
I'm going to keep using the same one I have now for the rest of my life! I want to be one of the Realtors who doesn't look like their glamour shot anymore but refuses to give it up. LOL.

The only worse thing (to me) is having your pet or children in the picture.

This has been discussed/debated before. The only new thing is the safety issue. But if someone wants to get at you bad enough, a picture isn't going to matter. It's getting a little crazy out there w/agents, especially when showing alone or holding open houses. We all need to be careful.

YES-
I think putting your picture on everything is tacky. Picture on business cards, picture on yard signs, picture on ads, picture on this-picture on that. Just plan tacky.  Remember, it's not about you, it about the client/ potential client. I think people in general would pick knowledge over beauty every time, especially on something as big as purchasing a home.

Business 101 - consumers care about what they want, they don't care about you and what you look like. Don't get me wrong, I believe good looks can help but knowledge is way more important than beauty.

It depends on what your trying to promote. For me it's obviously my company.

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
This is definitely a Pro / Con thing.

For me I will continue to use my picture (the one above is perhaps a couple of years old now) but I have noticed Realtors tend to keep the picture they like longer than they look like that.

Picture yes for me.

James Callas - Realtor®