Profile picture for Wes Black

As a realtor, if an out of state client calls for help in finding a rental home, how do you handle?

Do you try to find them a home to rent with the expectation they will use you when they are ready to buy?
  • February 01 2012 - Louisville
  • 0

Best Answer

Yes! Always! Get them in a good rental, put together a plan to save for a down payment and they get 3 phone calls from me before their lease is up!

@kathymfoley:

Rent to own is a category where there are many people looking and very few available properties.    Why is this?   Reputable owners rarely want to enter the uncertainty of "rent to own", they want their money now.     Scammers are happy to get into rent to own!

Rent to own requires a large non-refundable deposit.
You pay more than fair market rent monthly, only the amount above fair market rent is going towards purchase.
If you are not qualified for a mortgage at the agreed price and date, you lose all your payments and have to move

Smarter is to rent for a year or two while getting ready to purchase.   It will give you far more choice, and far less risk.
  • April 22

Profile picture for kathymfoley
I am 61 yr woman with 8 yr cat.  I am looking for a small home to rent with option to buy.  I'm very serious about doing this by June 1st.  Starting then, I will have a financial plan to build a good credit history.  We a very clean, quiet and have references.  The Go rent-to-own was a nightmare.  Never go to those sites they are expensive and a scam.  This process should not be expensive but by a reputable realtor.  Having a hard time in the Leominster, Ma. and surrounding towns of Worcester County to find such a realtor.  For any help, I am at kathymfoley@hotmail.com

Thank you
  • April 22

I had a lady from out of town call me Monday that will be starting a job here in two weeks, I search the market and there was only one home that met her criteria. I call a investor and he had one that would be ready in two weeks. She made a trip up and in 45 minutes had her a place. And yes I will stay in contact with her because she does want to buy and able to buy.