Profile picture for mb5377

As long as your rent is paid on time, can your landlord tell you who can come visit your house?

I pay my rent every month on time. My landlord told me that he does not want my daughter in law visiting my house. He just does not like her.

• June 23 2011 - Versailles
  • 0

Best Answer

Most leases have a clause in them about visitors so you would have to follow what the lease says If your DIL is troublesome, loud, has had problems with the law etc, the landlord might also have a say.

If the visits are reasonable and in your house, the landlord may not have legal grounds to ban her from the property. Why doesn't your landlord like her? Have there been problems in the past?

Profile picture for mb5377
No overnight stays. The visits are only for a couple of hours at a time. I thought when you rented you paid your rent your landlord could not stipulates you can come and go. My lease ran out a year and a half ago and it was not included in the lease who could come and go.

Is your daughter in law visiting your house for short visits, or is she staying frequently for several over night visits?

As a tenant, you have a tenant's right to privacy and your visiting daughter-in-law visits would fall under those guidelines.  You have the right to enjoy the property even though you are not the owner.  

What reason did the landlord give you for not wanting daughter-in-law to visit.  Make him put it in writing.  I don't think just telling you gives him legal right

David Cooper

Profile picture for mb5377
No never loud, I am a 55 year old grandmother. He does not like her because of past family history. Not with anyone having to do with me or where I live. The visits are within my home and she does not cause trouble.