Profile picture for newpurchases

Ashwood Park,Naperville builders and experiences

Is it adivsable to go with a reputed builder such as TollB, Pulte etc or is it worthwhile to go with a small time unknown local builder ?

I am in a strange situation where I saw a nexus between a realtor from a reputed real estate agency who works offside with a small time builder for commissions and leaves the purchaser at the mercy of the builder when it comes to negotiations or protecting the purchasers interests.

After the spending a few months of ups and downs with the builder, hindsight, it appears that this builder has very ambigious way of dealing and is not upfront in laying out what is standard and what is not and in the process one ends up with huge list of upgrades thus increasing the costs. Upon approaching the realtor it apperas she wants to stay away from the deal.

I was wondering if there is any recourse of better way of dealing with this situation.

• February 13 2011 - Naperville
  • 0

Each situation can be different. It clearly sounds like you should walk away from this one assuming you have not signed any papers to commit yourself. If you did talk with an attorney.

It sounds like you bought a lot. If so you can show a few buildings. I cannot suggest more because I cannot tell any specifics of your situation from what you have said.

newpurchases,

I understand the problem. Hopefully you have not entered into a contract with the builder yet. You really need to have a firm handle on what the cost of the home is before you sign on the dotted line.

As far as your agent goes the way the process is setup once your agent registers you with the builder and brings you in on the first visit she will get paid a commission. Some agents feel that's all they have to do. I personally don't agree with that and I like to be involved in the whole process. I'm not saying I would be there at every meeting but certainly during the pricing and options stage.

If you are not comfortable you should look elsewhere.

Profile picture for Jeff Stainer
There are many great builders in Naperville.   Every Detail should be outlined during the pricing process.  Also, what warranties do you get when the home is completed.  There is a great builder who is currently building in Ashbury... he offers 10 year warranties on workmanship... A realtor should be involved in the process, especially in the begininng..  We have seen thousands of homes and we can direct you on what works and what doesn't.  Good luck

Profile picture for newpurchases
Thanks for the feedback and unfortunately, I realized all this after signing the contract. So, upon speaking to the relevant people, all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and wait for the end product to live upto my expectations and the worry is what if it does not live upto my expecations and how do I fight it.

I am in the same boat now, trying to build a house in Ashwood Park with a small builder.. but did not sign the contract yet...May i know the builder's name and how did everything turned out?